• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker Grilles

severntales

Standard Member
What is the preference regarding speaker grilles, using the speakers with them on or off? As they come off fairly easily I guess it is a personal choice, but is there any advantage to using the audio setup with them on or off?

Sonic67

Banned
Some people think the sound is slightly affected by the sound passing through the grille or they prefer the look of the speakers being hidden (or on show). If you have kids it might be better to keep them covered as they seem to be obsessed with pushing the centres in.

Arfa

Established Member
Yes there is a huge advantage with leaving them on. With them off, the little 'un would find the cones irresistible and would no doubt poke them like mad. You'll find this affects the sound quality a lot, a night and day difference you might say.

:smashin:

mossym

Distinguished Member
i prefer to see those lovely drivers bouncing away. leave mine off, but i don't notice any sound improvement. Soon as i have kids they are going back on, for good..or at least 18 years..:)

severntales

Standard Member
Thanks for all your quick answers. I suppose I should experiment, that will be the next job!

n.b. No kids, even the grandchildren are getting old, no pets, but do have an understanding partner who puts up with the noise and cable ..............

KatTV

Established Member
I'd love to have the sexiness of seeing the drivers in all their naked glory, but with 2 kids, I just couldn't risk it - you just know they'd have to touch them! :nono:

I discovered that most of the paper cones on my old cheapo towers had been pushed in through the fabric :eek:, so despite a lengthy adgy lecture later, the metal grilles stay on the MA radius!!

KatTV

Darkstar_surfer

Prominent Member
I bought my first set of speakers at the age of 17 and it was my dad that pushed the center of my tweeter in. He claimed it did not affect the sound but I had to put the covers back on after that.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom