Speaker fuse blown - why?

super7

Established Member
Reaction score
Acouple of nights ago, wjhilst watching TV, there was a horrible 'pop' from one of the speakers. At the time, I thought nothing of it, as everything was still working.

But... when I next came to use my Hi-Fi, as opposed to my AV setup, it transpired that it must have been this that had made the noise, as the right-channel was no more!

Decided to take the lid off the amp (a trusty Arcam Alpha 3) this evening, and found a blown speaker fuse. Luckily, those excellent Arcam people had clipped a spare fuse to the PCB inside, so I'm back up and running. A pack of 10 spares is less than a pound at Maplin by the way!

I'm still perplexed as to why this should have happened. Any ideas?

Super7

there are so many possible reasons for this! I wouldnt worry about it unless it happens again. I would say it was just a one off fluke

ad

The fuse is there to protect the wiring and circuitry in the event your amp draws more current than it can safely handle.Better the fuse thats toasted than your amp, its done its job! A power surge is the most likely answer as Tejpal has indicated, replace it but if it blows again in the near future it would indicate you have another underlying reason for it blowing.

Thanks all for the comments.

I guessed a power surge, but seems strange (and lucky!) that nothing else was affected. I've had the amp about 8-9 years, so must be a rare occurence!

Thinking about it, I do have a 6-way surge protector plug strip on my AV gear - perhaps ought to buy another for the hi-fi...

Super7

surely the fuse that would be effected by a surge would be different than the one dealing with the speakers? Besides, why would one channel go and not the other?

ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom