• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

speaker feedback

silvermilnec

Established Member
Hi wonder if someone can advise, my set up is in the Kitchen.

I've had a new kitchen fitted and have put a Squeezbox classic connected to a small old Oblisk amp on the top of my kitchen units feeding a pair of q acoustic 1010i.

It sounds as good as it's going to from the top of kitchen units BUT i'm getting feedback in the form of a speaker cracking now and again.

I've got a double plug socket above the units 1 is used for the low voltage lights the other ive put a small extension to power the classic and the amp. All the cables are running close to each other on top of the units.

Which cable is the most obvious cause (i dont get any other feedback) just the odd crack!

Speaker cable
interconnect
power

Cheers:smashin:

formbypc

Established Member
You've got to try the whole setup somewhere else to determine if you're getting interference from the lights and/or try the amp with a different source, and the SB feeding a different replay system in order to isolate where the problem is coming from.

Cables don't cause cracking noises. Interference and faulty electronics do.

However you like to describe it, it's not 'feedback' ....

silvermilnec

Established Member
I've tried it set up in the garage and it's fine.

I think it's when the fridge motor kicks in! i'll do some test tonight.

Thanks for the reply:smashin:

a8ch

Established Member

I think it's when the fridge motor kicks in! i'll do some test tonight.

Thanks for the reply:smashin:

Have you got a spike protected extension you could try. Alternatively I have had some success in the past with a ferrite ring placed around the input leads close to the amp. As you say it sounds like RFI of some kind.

silvermilnec

Established Member
Have you got a spike protected extension you could try. Alternatively I have had some success in the past with a ferrite ring placed around the input leads close to the amp. As you say it sounds like RFI of some kind.

Funny that's what i thought, I've just rung a mate to see if he got one and he has, so ill try that first.

Thanks for the help:clap:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member

....I think it's when the fridge motor kicks in!
:
You have your answer!

Years back growing up, we used to have small B/W tv up against the fridge and it use to go garraty whenever the fridge motor kicked in. So Dad moved the fridge, problem solved! :laugh:.
To be fair to him, there was no other place for the TV to go other than where it was, but there was a gap on the other side of the kitchen big enough for the fridge to fit in.

Nothing gets between a man, his food and his viewing :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom