1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker dynamics issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by peterlowe, Apr 14, 2005.

1. peterlowe

peterlowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

I was curious and was wondering what you know-it-all technically minded people would have to say. I have owned B&W 602s and currently 603, both of which, under heavy drive, with certain songs and certain types of bass, tend to 'stutter' in-and-out low frequency pulses (moving to a large degree!) that are inaudible and done seem to effect the sound in any way...

Anyone know what I am talking about and could clarify what this phenominon is?

Many thanks,

Pete

2. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would have guessed it was possibly bass harmonics but the fact you said the cones are moving to a large degree sounds as though it's your amp clipping. Try a 1.5v battery across and old speaker and watch the cone easily hit the end stop, this is similar to an amp when it starts to clip sending out dc pulses .... not highly recommended.

nal

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would also suspect the amp.

I am leaning to the case where the speaker impedance dips to 3 Ohm in the frequency response and the amp is just not "happy".

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What amp do you have

5. peterlowe

peterlowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the RA-1062 amplifier which should be plenlty powerful enough with the 603s.. The same happened when driving my 602s with RA-02. Hmmmmmm...

6. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Of course on the other hand it may just be sub bass that your seeing which is inaudible and would be more noticable in a ported design.