1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker DVD material test - can you help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Smurfin, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    I've been playing quite alot of stuff at reference level recently :)devil: ), and on a couple of things I've noticed some unwanted driver vibration from my front right channel.

The weird thing is that on most material everything sounds good - even at reference level - but this resonance is horrible.

The pieces in question are:

Treasure Planet R2 dts - at the beginning of the movie as the first pirate ship makes a sweep across the screen the right front channel crackles.

Also on CD, Chicane - From Behind The Sun echoes this same problem on track 5 or 6 (can't remember which, but it's near the beginning).

Now I think I'm starting to notice little crackles from across the front 3 when driven loud, but part of me thinks this is psychological:rolleyes:. The reason I say this is that I've disconnected the subwoofers and all channels except the front left and right, and played numerous material through it...and not heard anything wrong. Similarly with the sides and surrounds.

I've also tried some older speakers with the same troublesome point on the Chicane CD and the EXACT same noise could be heard.

Could someone do a double check for me please, if you've got the same DVD/CD? Remember you need to play it at reference level (or close to it). I just need to confirm that I'm not going mad...or that I've blown my speakers:(

2. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Could it be your amp starting to clip when all channels are being driven hard?

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Don't think so, they're not exactly lightweight amps:confused:

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Try headphones, if you can still hear it then it's the CD/DVD itself. That will eliminate your amps/speakers from the equation.