Speaker Dilemma

bootgaz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Currently in the process of building a new family room which will also be a home cinema. I have a setup in the lounger already but with the new build it allows me to upgrade kit and install everything in the walls / ceiling properly.

I have a real dilemma on what type of speakers to install and where. As you can see from my very dodgy sketch the screen will come down from the ceiling about half way in the room due to the one end housing a large desk.

My original plan was to install ceiling speakers for a 5.1 setup but not sure if this will give me the best sound possible with my layout. I then thought maybe in wall speakers but again what about the fronts and where can i put the centre speaker.

I would appreciate some help as i really want to order my speakers but just not sure which ones i should go with due to the way I will have my room setup.

I cannot change the layout so have to deal with the current situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• AV setup.JPG
    AV setup.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 122
Well you say you can't change the room - but how about putting the sofa along the left wall and dropping a screen in front of the window (bottom right of plan)?

Don't know the dimensions of the room - but even if a little tight, there are short-throw projectors available. Again, don't know if the sofa is already bought, but you could have a sofa with a chaise running along the bottom wall doing this.

You might even be able to squeeze a 5.1.2 system into a layout like that!

Thanks for the reply, the width is only 2.4 meters and the length is 5 meters so I think the screen would be way too close if I put the sofa along the left hand wall. Although I do like you thinking.

I think I am probably stuck with ceiling or a mixture of in wall and ceiling as I can’t see how else to do it. Based on the layout in my head there will be about 2.8 meters between screen and projector.

I have just purchased a Benq w1070 so I am hoping that will give me about an 100inch picture from that distance.

Do you already have the sofa?

I’m thinking a couple of chairs in the middle of the room looking at the bottom wall. Don’t even need a drop down screen then - just project onto the wall.

Just look at what @Thug managed in quite a compact space! Don’t know the dimensions of his room, but it looks great!

Thanks Dreamer but the room is being used as family room so needs to have the sofa.

Do u think I would be ok with two in wall for surround and then two in ceiling either side for fronts with one in the middle between the two fronts for the front one?

Do you already have the sofa?

I’m thinking a couple of chairs in the middle of the room looking at the bottom wall. Don’t even need a drop down screen then - just project onto the wall.

Just look at what @Thug managed in quite a compact space! Don’t know the dimensions of his room, but it looks great!
Mine is only 2.5 x 2.5 or there abouts.
Thanks for the compliment though.

1b64166d-3c1d-4d14-b250-9f7817300fda-jpeg.1014787

9da5b26d-cdcf-43c5-ae8b-cde92e43930c-jpeg.1014788

Loudspeakers - do you have a budget?

Projection screen - will your joists allow you to go flush into the Ceiling?

Layout - could you consider an L-shape sofa? That way you could go Fixed Screen in front of In-wall Front LCR.

Joe

Attachments

• Bootgaz_B.png
    Bootgaz_B.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 80
Hi Joe

Thanks for the help, we had looked at a corner sofa but the size of the room doesn’t allow it unfortunately.

The joists may be an issue but we won’t know this until the structure is up. My feeling is we will need to either go for a smaller screen 80 to 90 inch or just hang the 100inch I have already from the ceiling.

Speakers my budget is about £250 ( I know this is low end) and I have found some nice square wall ones which I may put two in the rear and them 3 in the ceiling for fronts and centre. I think the room will look fantastic when it’s done.

Layout - it does sound like you are set on/limited to the mid position drop down option.

Budget - wow that is tight if you are looking for an 'installed' speaker system!

Ceiling Speakers - unless they are designed for Front LCR duties, with mid and HF drivers which can be aimed towards the listening position, tend to do a pretty poor job of getting sound to the seating area in a Cinema Room.

Joe

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ideally you want to 'aim' the mid range towards the listener too.

Hard to argue with those prices - will await your Review :)

Joe

Been looking at speakers again. I was thinking 2 round ceiling for surrounds above sofa, and then two round ceiling fronts and a rectangle Centre in the middle.

Or

I can do in rectangle in wall for rears just above listening height and round ceiling fronts with rectangle centre.

Or I can do

On the wall square rears and in ceiling fronts?

Really can’t decide, I want good sound but doesn’t have to be the best. Ideally all in ceiling or ceiling and in wall would suit me best as I like the idea of having every neat and flush

Personally, I would have ALL speakers at just over ear height.
The ONLY ones I would have in ceiling are Atmos.
The bass of course goes on the floor, ha ha.

I have small wall mounted speakers for front and rear left and right, all just over ear height. I have the centre speaker under ear height as it sits under my projector screen and my Atmos are in ceiling.

By having your surrounds or fronts in ceiling you will not be able to separate Atmos if you have it (now or in future).
In your case I would wall mount your main speakers around ear height, and perhaps put your centre either behind the screen or ceiling mounted pointing down. I would also wire it for in ceiling Atmos to future proof it (at least 2 of them).
The shape of the speakers doesn't really matter.

217183E8-C4BE-44DC-B7B5-856F0622251D.jpeg
8C0F47CA-B35C-4FB6-8442-90FA94A61257.jpeg
3E185E43-D1D8-49A2-94D6-F81C717D948B.jpeg

Last edited:
I suggest, that try your speakers up high with somekind stand/ladder before you decide to use them.
Speakers at ear level will be 100 times better than in ceiling, especially front three.

Just to make it clear I haven’t bought the speakers yet. I could easily mount the rear speakers on the wall. The front right would have to be mounted on the right and left wall at an angle, would that work. I could then put a centre in the ceiling.

I could then put a centre in the ceiling.
Still same problem - 50-70% of movie sound comes from center speaker. Side walls are not ideal too, but probably better than ceiling.
Use acoustically transparent screen, then you can put speakers behind the screen.
Ok, now looked your picture... Don't use center at all or just move it there when watching movies.

Just realised my amp actual does 7.1, is there a way to fit that in with my layout. Would rather maximise sound. I am aware that ceiling speakers aren’t the best but I assume they will still be fairly decent.

Should I put two on the wall behind seating position, 2 in ceiling above seating position and then 3 in ceiling at the front. Think that’s my best option for either 5.1 or 7.1.

Unless anyone else has any other suggestions to get the best sound out of my layout?

I would solve the problem of using ceiling speakers for anything other than Atmos before trying to squeeze 7.1 out of your layout.

If the sofa hasn’t been bought yet, I’d still be looking at trying to utilise that bottom wall as your screen. You’d then be able to accommodate 7.1 with ease, and it’d probably sound better than most, as the back surrounds would be mounted on your top wall - giving plenty of space between speakers and listener.

A sofa along the left wall, with a seat along the right, facing the bottom wall would allow two or three people to watch a movie - it’s not ideal, seating wise, but your speaker placement issues would be solved, and would sound a hell of a lot better than placing stuff in the ceiling where it doesn’t belong.

Placing a screen across a room to watch a movie should be the stuff of last resorts. What if someone wants to go to the loo, answer the doorbell, make a cup of tea? I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone here on AVF do it - there’s probably a reason for that!

I would have a chat with your better half about seating, and explain to them the issues.

Thinking about seating, how about a pair of ‘love seats’, or ‘snugglers’? Some of these are on swivel bases, so you could have an offset pair - one to the left and one to the right of the room - still allowing plenty of access. When not watching movies, they could swivel to face each other, and when in ‘movie mode’ just swivel them to look at the bottom wall.

Something like this?

Crosby Large Swivel Chair | DFS

Thanks the dreamer for the contribution. The difficulty with the room is really is being used as a family room first and a cinema room second. We could possibly have the sofa against the left hand wall, however the whole width of the room is 2.4metres so I am worried that the screen would be way to close for viewing.

This is the reason I have put the sofa against the back wall and the screen about 3 meters away so I can get about a 90-100 inch picture.

Will take a look again at the possibilities.

Would really be interested to hear what’s the best speaker layout I can do based on the fact that nothing can be moved.

Why not movable speakers in front then? When watching movies, you will move speakers and lower the screen. This will give you the best possible picture and sound.
When not in use, speakers will be against the wall, you can even use them for music listening without moving.

'Would rather maximise sound' - you are mixing up the concept of more = better with doing what is correct for the room/space/layout/budget.

Joe

Best speaker layout?

Ideally the ONLY ones that go in the ceiling should be the Atmos speakers. End of.

The others need to be roughly ear height (or slightly higher).
The front L/R can go on the side walls but should face the viewer/listener.
The centre should be central (of course) and again ear height. However this isn’t easy as the screen is usually in the way so just above/below the screen is the next best option (which ever is closest to ear height).

Having your screen in the middle of the room is not ideal as it could move with any draught or be in the way when people walk by risking it being marked or damaged.
Could you not put it on the wall where the sofa is then move the sofa when you want to watch something?

Thanks Joe and Thug.

I have discussed the layout with the mrs and everything has to stay as it is. As I have said before the room is a family chill out room first and a home cinema second.

In wall rear speakers at ear height is easily done, fronts on the side side is doable but not sure what speakers or brackets would be suitable for me to angle towards the sofa.

Centre would have to go in the ceiling in front of the screen as there is nowhere else to put it.

I know my payout isnt perfect and could be better but i am restricted to keeping it as it is so just trying to find the best solution for decent sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom