Speaker Dilemma

greggymagic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quickie I have a Harman Kardon Hs250 2.1 setup.

Unfortunately the Sub has just died so I need help with 2 options.

Do I

a) Buy a Wharfedale powercube spc-10 as just a straight replacement for the sun. £220 quid.

Or

b) Bin the remaining 2 lifestyle Harman Kardon speakers which obviously sound tinny without a sub and buy a pair of Q acoustics 3050 floorstanders? £430 quid. These would then be hooked up to the original Harman Kardon amp which the specs say is 2x65w at 6ohms.

Would both options work - which would you choose?

I do like having a sub but I've heard great things about the Q acoustics - would I miss the sub punch or do the 3050s have a nice amount of base?

Many thanks in advance.

Gm

The 3050s will still not give you the bass that the sub is already giving you. Even though they are floorstanders they simply cannot go as deep as a sub. For the cost of 3050s you could get a pair of standmounts which will give a superior overall sound when coupled to a sub than floorstanders alone.

The 3050s will still not give you the bass that the sub is already giving you. Even though they are floorstanders they simply cannot go as deep as a sub. For the cost of 3050s you could get a pair of standmounts which will give a superior overall sound when coupled to a sub than floorstanders alone.

Thanks for the reply - So is that a vote for keeping the Harman Kardon front sats and just buying the Wharfedale sub?

Do you know of anything in the same price bracket as the Wharfedale sub that's better?

Cheers

Gm

My only reasoning for the 3050s was that I could use them as a base for adding future kit. But I do like the punch of the sub for movies.

Gm

You could still build a 5.1 or 5.1.2 using your HKs, they could be used on a temporary basis on surround duties. The front three will always be the most important for dialogue and panning which is best served by getting the three speakers from the same manufacturer and model range. What you also have to consider is your room size and possible left and right speaker positions which may make the use of floorstanders too difficult. Most floorstanders need a lot of room away from walls to perform at their best.

If you need a sub first then start there. I like REL for the way they perform for music. You could also look at the BK range.

Thank you - I think I'll get the Wharfedale sub and build from there unless anyone has any better active subs that beat the Wharfedale round the £250 mark?

Cheers

Gm

Thank you - I think I'll get the Wharfedale sub and build from there unless anyone has any better active subs that beat the Wharfedale round the £250 mark?

Cheers

Gm

As you are buying the subwoofer for movies i would save little bit more. Small 10" sealed sub from speaker manufacturer and you find yourself in the upgrade circle soon again.

Please read this review carefully, especially the last part;
Wharfedale SPC-10 (£300) - Loudspeakers

What to get depends of your room size and your "needs". Some people are listening very loud, some people can`t cause of neighbours. I have found that the larger & better performing subwoofer can still bring alot to the table if you don`t crank it. Remember you can always dial down the larger sub & hear new things, but with the smaller you are limited. Do not fear the larger boxes. You`ll thank me later with a smile on your face.

If you are tight with the budget look this (325£ each, 450£ new);
For Sale - A pair of BK XXLS400’s

XXLS400-DF

If you don`t have mega large room and can get it for ~300£ it would be great! Higher budget will open you more doors for ported models.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom