Speaker crossover wont work denon x3400!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Placebo1, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I have set my speakers to small and crossover to 60hz. Yet still when i play music from my computer on youtube. The main speakers also does the heavy work of hitting very low notes like 20hz. I use Wharfedale 220 mains and svs pb-1000 subwoofer. Its really annoying when listening to bass heavy music when my mains start to fart and im WTH! They shouldnt even play that low, because the crossover is set to 60hz. How is this possible?? My computer is connected with hdmi to the receiver.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
  2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    You Tube gives a stereo signal. Check your 2 Channel settings are not still on default of full range.

3. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres no own setting for 2 channel? Only one speaker setting and there isnt any 2 channel option to choose from...

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    Have you by any chance set the SUBWOOFER MODE setting to LFE + MAIN? If so then set it to just LFE. The LFE + MAIN option results in both the sub and the stereo speakers handling the full range audio.

5. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, i have it set to LFE.

6. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a factory rese and no luck! Could my computer soundcard do it?

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    Is your computer your only audio input?

8. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Played 17hz and my sub didnt do sh*t... it only came from my main speakers. I have all connected right. Mains small. Sub on. Crossover set to 60hz...and still those lows come trougho_O

10. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    Are you using any sort of direct or pure mode setting when playing stereo?

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    I'd be very surprised if you can hear test tones that are below 30Hz? How are you detecting that the sub isn't active while the front speakers are while handling frequencies below 30Hz?

Maybe you are simply under the false impression that the crossover filters are not working or inactive when in fact they are?

12. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i can see the driver moving rapidly and air coming from the port and if i crank the volume up to like -30 from the receiver the mains start to make port noise. I dont think they should move as much if filter is working correctly. I have the wharfedale 225 not the 220 i remembered incorrectly. They do go almost to 30hz in my room. And if i do a bass test like i cook decaf song. With yamaha my sub made all the fuzz and mains were quiet, but now my mains go crazy and sub is just chilling. I have tried different soundmodes like surround, stereo, dts neutral x etc. All work the same. Should the main speakers move much when low bass is being played in moderate volume if cross over is high like 80hz? How much does the filter tone down the mains? 12 or 24db?

13. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im afraid of damaging my main speakers when they play lows that i dont want them to, when watching a movie at high volume etc.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    You'd ordinarilly be correct in thinking that the main speakers shouldn;t be portraying frequencies that are below the associated crossover filter and if those speakers are designated as being SMALL. If you are sure that you've correctly configured the receiver to utilise the crossover filters then I'd suggest you take the issue you are having up with the retailer you purchase the receiver from. I can only suggest that there's a fault with the receiver and it should be covered by the manufacturers warranty.

It is unlikely that you'd damage you main speakers.Most conventional stereo integrated amplifiers don't include onboard filtering and output full range frequencies to speakers that are not full range.

THere are other aspects of what you have described that are more worring. THe fact that you can see the bass drivers moving while the master volume is at -30db suggests that your receiver is incorrectly calibrated. I'd not rdinarilly class -30db to be excessively loud or high enough to cause the kind of movement you are describing. I listen to daytime TV at higher volume than those you are describing.

15. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it is a faulty system then. I ran the audyssey multi eq xt32 from 8 points and use setting it provided, besides changed mains to small and crossover to 60hz.

16. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,136
    The only other thing I can think of is the test tone you are using. It could be that it isn't as it was labelled and therefore may still contain frequencies above the crossover settings?

Try here for free tests that can be relied upon:
    Audio Tests

17. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny... Now when i tried the audio tests from your link. The mains didnt do anything...everything came out of the sub. Can youtube or any other software mix the channels so it makes te bass come from where it shouldnt? But should the mains be still if playing only frequence below crossover. Should they move at all or do tehy still react to it a little?

18. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded a sweep file 20 to 100hz and played in foobar 2000. And now the main speakers again played the whole range all the way. Why doesnt it do it on the website, but in youtube and allmost everywhere else it does....im confused:facepalm:

19. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    According to Wharfedale the 225s can only go to a claimed 40hz. With that in mind perhaps you could try giving a higher crossover along with looking at the speakers placement and stability.

20. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same happens if i put the crossover higher like 80hz. I just want to know if the speakers driver should move if you set it to small and to 80hz and play a bass test where the bass goes to 20-30hz region?

21. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also if using different soundmodes watching tv or netflix. The sub output changes a lot. Dolby digital boooom. Need to adjust the sub to minimum. Then using dolby surround. Have to put the sub at almost maximum... why is this denon amp so difficult to handle. The yamaha rx amp didnt have any of these issues. Now i have to adjust the sub volume everytime i watch with a different source or soundmode... im thinking of returning this thing... not impressed at all

22. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +982
    Some amps, the crossover setting will not be effective with pure stereo (direct or pure) these modes usually disable bass filtering/redirection) and pass the full frequency spectrum through to the L/R speakers.

23. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont use pure or direct. I have read from reddit that other people also is suffering from these problems... great denon:confused:

All connected right as they should. Ran all the setups it asked from the beginning also audyssey. Still have to diel with this... Should have sticked with yamaha!

24. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,835
    What I find with my sub and X6200 is that my attention at low frequencies is not drawn toward the sub and everything blends beautifully. It is more apparant that bass is lacking when the sub is switched off when the crossover is set at 80hz. For music I use pure direct as my KEFs go deep enough for me and I don't play at high volume. When I do go back to stereo bringing back in the bass management the heavier bass is apparant within the soundstage. If you are not getting this then indeed you may have a faulty unit. A good disc to test this theory, if you have it, is Rag 'n Bone Man.

25. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks! ill look into it :)

26. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now im noticing that if i set the crossover at 80hz and play 100hz tone from the website. My subwoofers also produces it. Why wont it cutt off? Could low quality subwoofer cable let the signal through or is my denon broken?

27. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    It could be that the test tone from the website is not really playing at 100hz. Try downloading a high quality test tone file and playing it locally.

Download Audio Tone Files

28. Placebo1

Placebo1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I downloaded the 100hz tone and played it with different media players and yes my both subs do play the tone. It doesnt matter which crossover i select. It does it in youtube, any online tone generators and even if i download the file and then play it. Could windows mess up the sounds? Making the subwoofer play sounds that it shouldnt? I have set my svs pb1000 subwoofers to the lfe and connected rca cables to the lfe spot. Receiver crossover 80hz. How does the crossover work? Doest it cut subwoofer signal completely after 80hz or roll off somehow? I want to understand why this is happening.

29. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,108
    It is a roll off, rather than a dead cut.

Also, if you are playing back a 2.0 audio file, and have the AVR in direct mode, the subwoofers shouldn't be playing at all. So, in order for the subs to be working, I guess you are engaging an upmixer.

You could try an audio only file and play it to the AVR directly, via the network or a USB stick, then mess with direct mode, and upmixers, and see if it is doing more what you expect?

30. na1905go

na1905go
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    Try set crossover on receiver to a larger value than 40-80Hz. 125hz for example, than you can hear than no sound of 30-60Hz will be from from speakers, ~only from subwoofer it will be.

+1 on crossover "is a roll off, rather than a dead cut."