Speaker Crackiling

GiddyFish

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 7.1 surround sound setup
I'm getting what appears to be a cracking sound coming from a rear speaker the crossover is set at 80htz.
I believe the cracking sound is higher than this, I was watching a film last night that didn't have deep base at the point of the speaker crack
(If it was only 1 film I'd suggest it was the film but I've had this from several different sources )

I had similar with other speakers at lower frequency but it turned out to be a louvre door rattling due to the subwoofer I fixed that with magnetic door catches and some draft excluder

There are so many reasons for this to occurs from the audio being played, through dodgy cable or connections to a faulty speaker.

It could also be something physically vibrating

I have a Denon avr-x2700h that can send a test tone to each speaker but it's kinda flat and not at the frequency causing the cracking
I've found test tones on another thread here but these are stereo so don't come through each speaker

Before I start pulling and swapping cables around

Is it possible to send a range of tones through each channel in turn and therefore try and isolate where the crack happens?

From that I can investigate further

Which speakers are you talking about (brand and model) and specifically was it just one of the two surround back speakers making the noise?

As you mentioned setting the crossover to 80hz, was it set higher than that before after running Audussey?

Rear speakers are Monitor Audio RADIUS 90 the creaking sound is coming from the direction of the rear left speaker

crossover set to 80hz prior to Audussey as advised by SVS customer support

I recently had the room redecorated so crossover set prior to this

I thought the right rear was creaking before the work was done and it is possible the two have been swapped over (this could have been the louvre doors as it happened during deep base events like meteor shower in Greenland)
I mention this ONLY because it could be the same speaker BUT previoulsy it happened at lover frequencies

For completeness my speakers are
Front: DALI OBERON 5
Center: DALI OBERON VOKAL
Rear: Monitor Audio RADIUS 90
Atmos: DALI ALTECO C1
Subwoofer: SVS SB-1000 PRO

Check for..

Loose speaker cable
Swap speakers over to to check if speaker is faulty
Use a known good speaker on that channel to check if that channel is faulty.

Loose speaker cable
Swap speakers over to to check if speaker is faulty
Use a known good speaker on that channel to check if that channel is faulty.
The cable at the speaker is tight with no loose strands at the amp end I'm using banana plugs again these look good

This is why I wanted a range of test tones, off known quality, that can be sent through each channel before asking someone to help swapping speakers over

Once I've got a bench mark and I can recreate the issue with known files

Playing a film and a TV show tonight did not recreate the issue so potentially it could be the source(s)

If you swap the two rear speakers and the crackling comes from the same speaker in a different position the speaker is faulty. If the same position crackles it’s the receiver.

If you swap the two rear speakers and the crackling comes from the same speaker in a different position the speaker is faulty. If the same position crackles it’s the receiver.
I swapped the two rear speakers at the amp and played a file that is known to cause the crackle and get the same crackle at the same point in the file coming from the same speaker position.

Played the same on PC with no crackle (this has 5.1 low grade PC Logitech speakers so probably not got the same range)

If the amp was faulty wouldn't there be a continuous crackle instead of very narrow instances where this happens?

Are there any 5.1 or 7.1 test files that have a range of tones?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom