Speaker conundrum?

koiboi

Standard Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1582159
This is what I have, 7.2 surround sound but my Onkyo died, I replaced it with a Denon avr-x3700h which can run more channels.

The problem I have is the wiring is all set up for 7.2 and is all in wall and the walls have had 3 coats of paint, I don't want to be channeling more speaker cables the O/H would throttle me.

Do I look at 2 ceiling speakers and if so will this enable atmos, or 2 floorstanders with upwards firing tops, or add an amp and go for both?

I want a kick ass system but haven't really the cash right now, would their be a way of upgrading the 7.2 system with the denon avr-x3700h by adding something that won't cost alot.

I know alot may be a subjective amount, but a couple of hundred might be OK in the next month or I could put something on my Christmas list.

Remember no wires, what can you guys suggest to me please.

Or could I place a speaker behind the projector so make an 8.2 surround as the speaker wire wouldn't be seen. But then it can do 9.2 without an amp suggest away folks.

And many thanks for reading me ramble.

It's hard to tell definitely from your picture but Atmos may not work for you due to the height of the other speakers.

In order to have Atmos, you need a base layer which is your 7.2, but they're already set very high it would appear and not around the ear level that would be ideal.
Atmos needs a decent height differentiation between the base layer and the ceiling, whether that's ceiling-mounted speakers or reflecting type speakers, and you may not have that. You could end up with the sound all muddled up with each other.

As I say it's difficult to tell from an angled picture, but it doesn't look ideal.

Also, is that your centre speaker on the floor? That's not going to work well and really needs to be at or pointing towards ear height.

It's hard to tell definitely from your picture but Atmos may not work for you due to the height of the other speakers.

In order to have Atmos, you need a base layer which is your 7.2, but they're already set very high it would appear and not around the ear level that would be ideal.
Atmos needs a decent height differentiation between the base layer and the ceiling, whether that's ceiling-mounted speakers or reflecting type speakers, and you may not have that. You could end up with the sound all muddled up with each other.

As I say it's difficult to tell from an angled picture, but it doesn't look ideal.

Also, is that your centre speaker on the floor? That's not going to work well and really needs to be at or pointing towards ear height.
Cheers, yes the centre speaker isn't attached as yet as we don't have the lift for the TV, it will go on the sideboard. The speakers are 8 foot high with about a 30% gradient down, unfortunately we only asked for 1 metre of speaker wire coming out the walls. So atmos may not work, so 9.2 may be the best option then do you think ? Would some more oomph at the front of the room be better than the ceiling then?

I've never had anything more than 7 channels as a base layer and currently have 5.1.2 so I couldn't really advise as to whether 7.2 to 9.2 would be a decent upgrade.

I was happy with switching from 7.1 to 5.1.2. I feel the sound is more enveloping.

So based on that 2 ceiling speakers may prove to be a better option. Thanks for your input, unless someone start to tell me another way 2 more speakers in the ceiling it might be.

So based on that 2 ceiling speakers may prove to be a better option.

For me it was.

For you, with your other speakers set so high, I'm really not sure it's a good idea.

I was just trying to explain to you I can't really give good advice about going from 7.2 to 9.2 as I've never done it.

16335225255794761256958512973065.jpg
16335225776852301490033771413239.jpg
16335226170267404500425462387569.jpg

I'm no expert but my initial thoughts are that your speaker placement for LCR and L/R rear surrounds are too high and too far apart :(. I'm sure more knowledgeable people will be able to comment further.

Oh I'm not sure what I can do about that now, it's a 5.5 metre room by 8.5 meter and ceilings are 15-20 foot, so we thought get them over head hight and angle down slightly. Hopefully someone can save it as it all wired in wall.

Thanks all, have decided I will lower all speakers a bit and also look at 2 floorstanders at the front giving a 9.2 surround sound, going to check folks reviews of good wireless floorstanders now

DALI have just this week announced "Equi" - it's their surround sound wireless zero-loss solution.

Their Oberon-C products (e.g the DALI Oberon 7C) with DALI Sound hub can now have a new HDMI module (eARC) and up to 7.1 channels.

So you can have a wireless LCR, surrounds and sub :)

Oberon 7C have been around for a year or so now and have been hugely successful.

Technically speaking, you could use the pre-out from your L/R on the AVR (Denon 3700 I think you recently purchased?) into the Sound Hub compact from DALI. You would however have to manually control the L/R volume which may not be an ideal setup (but it would work yes :)).

I can't justify £1500 at the moment, I was hoping their would be half decent wireless speakers around the 3-500 mark, I have also thought an amp might help ?

Open plan rooms, high vaulted ceiling, side rooms etc - all make for a difficult environment to reproduce any form of surround or immersive audio.

I cant see a pic of the Front of the room and have to ask why you require wireless Front LR, is it that your wires are in the wrong place?

I would concentrate on the Front LR plus possibly a Sub (though it will have to be big) and not go overboard on additional channels until you get the basics right, dialogue is way more important than effects.

Joe

‘Wireless’ speakers generally means no signal cable to the speakers and the speakers being ‘active’ self powered (so they require a mains cable).

If you plan to use an AVR with a wireless speaker system you require an AVR with line output plus a transmission device to send the signal to the wireless speaker receiver unit.

Joe

‘Wireless’ speakers generally means no signal cable to the speakers and the speakers being ‘active’ self powered (so they require a mains cable).

If you plan to use an AVR with a wireless speaker system you require an AVR with line output plus a transmission device to send the signal to the wireless speaker receiver unit.

Joe
Hi,

I currently have a hard wired (in wall wiring) 7.2 set up, but the front L&R (each side of centre) are a good distance and I thought putting 2 floorstanders each side of the unit might be better than a couple of ceiling speakers? So 9.2 rather than 7.2.2 as my current speakers can only be lowered by 1-2 feet.

I thought 2 floorstanders would be best as I have electrical sockets to power them both with.

Attachments

• 16336432558848596222135943318145.jpg
    16336432558848596222135943318145.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 41
Have you had a listen to what you show in the pics?

How does it sound to you?

Is there a Sub in the system?

The installed wiring looks like it is not ideal and randomly adding speakers/throwing channel configurations into the discussion is not going to make it any better.

Where is the AVR/do the loudspeaker cables converge?

Joe

Right, yes I had a small listen but the Onkyo went bang within 30 minutes and what we were listening to was utter shite TV to be honest. Blinking in-laws wanted eastenders on.

We have 2 subs one at the front of the room one at the back.

We tried to add the speakers to where we thought would be best and think the height is the main issue and the front L&R are too far away from the centre, hence my thought to add floorstanding.

The AVR is behind us by the projector (TV will be on a hydraulic lift behind the unit)

All speakers could be lowered by 2 foot or moved left to right as we specified a 1 meter excess from the walls.

I don't think we have speaker cable where the fronts should ideally be (bloody architect) but this is why I am wanting wireless ro the fronts and bring the so called fronts further back so more at the sides.

I understand this is all a mish mash a bit, but surely the corrective tech and using the set up for speaker location will help. I am not expecting miracles, but hope to have a half decent sounding system.

‘Wireless’ Front LR speakers - are not the norm in a Surround Sound system, your options are limited and potentially much higher cost than your indicated budget.

Speaker layout - I would get a new (to you) AVR installed, move the Centre on top of the TV cabinet and have a decent listen to the installed system and then decide if you have to make changes.

Subs - very few budget AVR’s are configured for dual Subs.

Front LR Speakers - if after a listen you decide the positioning or speaker type is wrong I would bite the bullet and have the speaker cables extended to allow you to add a pair of floor standing LR (you may also have to consider replacing the Centre speaker unless you find a good Front LR match with what you have).

Adding more speakers does not guarantee better audio - focus on the fundamentals of getting the core 5.1 system correct in your (tricky) room.

Joe

Hi,

We have a brand new AVR arriving hopefully today, the denon avr-x3700h, this allows for 2 subs does in not? I read it was 9.2.

We wired for 7.2, my plan once the avr arrives is to look at lowering the surrounds, I have a couple of maurdaunt speakers although bookshelf, I may get some speaker wire to test adding at the front to see if this produces a better surround than adding 2 ceiling speakers.

My question has sort of been answered if the cheapest floorstanding wireless speakers that are half decent cost £1500 then adding 2 fronts is out of the question unless I look to run speaker wire under the laminate when we put it down. Alternatively we could test once the avr-x3700h arrives and consider if 2 ceiling would be better.

It's 7.2.2. Vs 9.2 ? But cost may force us to the former having just spent £1k on the Avr we don't have £1.5 for wireless floorstanding speakers.

If I hadn't of lived in such a remote location I would have had someone assist me with the installation.

Will have a play about and decide if we save up for 2 x floorstanders or add 2 ceiling. We have asked the electrician for a quote for the cost of adding 2 ceiling speakers, am I right in thinking they should be as close to the front of the room as possible for atmos?

Cheers

AVR - yes it looks like you are covered for two subs.

Loudspeakers - keep in mind the majority of what you will be listening too is coming from the Front LCR (and Subs where you have small speakers).

Adding lots of Surround and Immersive channels is great, in the right room/room layout, but only if you have the fundamentals correct.

Atmos - follow Dolby Labs guidelines on where the ideal placement of the immersive channels should be.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom