1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker connector help needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon Read, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Jon Read

Jon Read

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi everyone,

My friend has just bought a pair of active M-Audio monitor speakers, he is using his PC as the output, no mixer. He has searched for ages for a adapter that will allow his soundcard to go direct to his speakers (as they are active). We have found 1 website in America that seems to sell the lead needed, but I have searched 100+ websites and this is the only one, which makes me wonder why ? Don't other people connect monitors to their PC ? Here is the lead he needs......

Stereo 3.5mm jack (male) to 2 mono 1/4 inch jacks (female). As mentioned, I found only website to sell this lead (I am searching for him). As he is in the UK a UK site was preffered first. So I am just trying to find out if anyone here know A) If any UK sites sell this lead and B) Why it is such an unpopular lead ? There are sites that sell variations of that lead, but they would require a big to small adapter, etc, which he says degrades quality.

Many thanks for any help !!

2. jradley

jradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Hi,

I assume you mean 1/4 inch male jacks, right ?

It is an unpopular cable because 3.5mm tends to be used on lower end consumer equipment (PC soundcards, portable stereos etc.) and 1/4 inch jacks tend to be used on semi-pro and pro audio equipment (mixing desks, effects processors etc.). The two rarely go together, but as in your friends case there are exceptions.

If you want a UK supplier of a cable to do the job you could try VDC (http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=9&Page=2). They supply cabling etc. to the pro audio industry.

Alternatively, you could try using a big to small adapter. Unless you are talking about a very high end soundcard, which I suspect is unlikley given its output is on 3.5mm, the sound degradation due to the adapter is very unlikely to be detectable.

Cheers,

John

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As has been said, you're unlikely to find this connection as one piece. There are plenty of ways of making the connection using some standard cables and an adaptor or 2.