1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker connectivity (cable/connector/impedance)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nrh1703, Jul 10, 2002.

1. nrh1703

nrh1703

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post so please bear with me.

I got a sony bookshelf system for free the other day but it didn't have speakers. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I took it thinking I'd just plug in some spare speakers I had.

The speaker outputs on the hifi are the bare wire type (two for each speaker) and the rating says 6-16 ohms. I plugged in some speakers assuming that the impedance was a standard figure but they didn't work. I checked their rating and found they were only 4ohms. I didn't have any other method of getting sound to speakers so as a temporary solution I have plugged the headphone jack into the 2nd input on my speakers I use for my computer.

While the audiophiles out there may cringe at the prospect of using some PC speakers for music, I'm not too fussed as they're not too bad for my purposes.

Finally my question, is it possible to connect the bare wire outputs to a stero jack input in my speakers? I thought it may be possible with a bit of soldering etc I could make a cable to do it but I looked at the tech specs of my speakers (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/pcS/YST-M20DSP.pdf) and the input impedance is rated as 25 kohms which is quite a mismatch from 6-16 ohms.

I'd rather not use the headphone jack in the long run because it doesn't look nice and the jack sticking out of the front is asking to get damaged.

Any advice would be appreaciated.

Thanks

NRH

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think the input impedance refers to the headphone connection so it's not an issue here.

However I think the system isn't suitable for use with a proper speaker as it's active and the output power stated at 10W with a THD of 10% is just pathetic, any normal speaker will cause an immediate overload.