1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker connections

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by go5, Apr 2, 2002.

1. go5

go5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased Denmark E 830LR speakers. I was examining them and as I did I noticed that the internal wiring from the crossovers to the 2 8" drivers had me wondering. I noticed that off the crossover unit there are two wires that connect to the positive polarities of the speakers. Then the negatives are jumped together with no incoming connection from the crossover(to the negatives). I am just wondering why this is. Is there a specific reason? I was under the impression that each speaker needed its own positive and negative feed from the crossover. I hooked up the two wires from the crossover two one speaker only and noticed that to me the speaker sounded much better. Is it possible to hook up both this way? Will it damage the speakers to do them this way? Any information you can give to help understand this would be great.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What type of design are your speakers, i.e. 2-way, 3-way or else?

3. go5

go5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are 3 way

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I noticed that off the crossover unit there are two wires that connect to the positive polarities of the speakers. Then the negatives are jumped together with no incoming connection from the crossover(to the negatives).

Actually after re-reading this I think yours is a 2 1/2 way design, i.e. a two way design / x-over with a 2nd mid/bass driver in as passive support for the 1st (used instead of a bass port).

The 2nd 8" driver is connected in series to the first but because it has to be out of phase the wiring is done as described above (reversed polarity).

5. go5

go5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply.

Each speaker does have a bass port. I understand now about the series connection. What is the reason for series? Can i connect the positive and negative off the crossovers to one driver then just jump both the positive and negative polarities to the other driver? Does it make a difference?

Thanks for any help

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Though I fail to understand why anyone would open up and re-wire his new speakers (why buy them in the first place if you don't like the sound?) I would not wire in parallel as you suggest.

For one you will affect the speaker design (not out of phase anymore) and the x-over might require a certain load impedance, which will change when you connect in parallel instead of in series.

Well, if you find it sounds better with one driver only or when wired in parallel then fine, try it and "see" ... after all it has to please your ears. Good luck!

7. go5

go5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you for the info,

I had to repoen the speakers because when I recieved them one was not working. After I opened them I noticed the connection type and was just naturally curious. I will pobably go back to the parrallel connection if you say it might damage the crossover. Betterto be safe than sorry.

Thanks again

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Serial you mean!