Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Speaker Connection question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jeremy_a, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if this is in the correct area, if it is, feel free to move it.

I have an Audiolab 8000A stereo amp powering a pair of Dali Concept 6 speakers for CD playback. These two sound stunning together. I now want to setup a 5.1 home cinema system, and I'm looking at the Denon AVR-1906 to run my Dali's as front left and right, and adding a pair of Dali Concept 1's for the rears, and a Dali Concept Center for the center channel. I want to keep the Audiolab powering the Concept 6 for CD's, but also want the 6's connected to the Denon for watching movies. I could just keep swaping the speaker wires from the Audiolab to the Denon as needed, but would rather not be constantly connecting from one to the other. Is there any easy way to connect the 6's to both the Audiolab and the Denon??

2. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any suggestions?

3. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :(

4. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,791
    A couple of possible solutions;

1) try a speaker switch box - these are normall used for two sets of speakers from one amp, but could possibly be used "in reverse".

2) I dont know what the power of your Audiolab is, but you could try using the front L & R pre-outs on the Denon to a tape loop on the Audiolab, so the Alab is powering the front L & R all the time.

3) Try your Denon instead of the Audiolab for stereo! You never know until you listen....

5. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a speaker switching box is the best option. The Denon is nowhere near as good as the Audiolab as a stereo amp.

Anyone able to recomend a Speaker Switching Box? I've found some made by QED, but are they any good? I know QED speaker cable is very good, but what about their switch boxes?

6. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone on here actualy know about thing about HiFi other than the one person who has given me some advice? Or is there some kind of secret handshake on here that I'm not privy to?

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Most people that viewed your thread probably have either a single Av recier they use for both or looking at te options like yourself have resorted to an av and a hi-fi system.
    You'll see that there arn't many consumer/home speaker swithes out there because there isn't a big market for it.

So there isn't a 'secret handshake' but rather people didn't want you do give you advise on something they know nothing about, don't be insulted if no one replys to your questions, its just that no one about has the answer or in some cases (not this) the question has been asked and answered so many times a simple use of the forum search facility would give them the answer many times over.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have to agree with Gazbarber here. I know its frustrating if no one replies but im sure you would rather have a serious answer than someone just guess for you.

The only thing I would be a little worried about is the 1906 with your Dali's. Does the 1906 have enough power to power a full 5.1 setup of Dali's? I agmit I know nothing about them so it all depends upon the ohm rating and the sensitivity of them as the 1906 is one of the lower end of the Denon amps and might not do them justice.

Did you do a seach on this subject?? You will find plenty of answers as this question is anked frequantly. Im thinking of getting the definate answers and posting a sticky to help people. :lesson:

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    Jeremy

i have a similar set up, i have a LINN preamp& poweramp which powers my front speakers. and i have sony AV amp which powers my rear speakers and centre, so i use the LINN for music and use the sony av for movies. the way i have set it up is the preout from the sony go to my LINN for when im watching movies. so i think. (not 100% famialir with your equipment) . so you would connect the front speakers to your audiolab and the rest to the denon, the denon's front pre outs go to the Audio lab input, and thats its. the audiolab's volume has to be set quite high. and the denon will control the volume.

10. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pre out to the sterio amp yes. Switchbox for speakers.... no...

11. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The denon controls the output volume when in surround mode. The stereo amp will have to be set at fix level on the volume control, but do check the manual of your Denon for preferred setting. Otherwise experiment with a D.D. DTS demo test dvd or Denon (internal) test tones.

I used an Aux on my amp for incoming signal from Surround Processor.

Do not forget to turn back volume for CD/stereo listening as the fixed setting might be up the scale depending on equipment.

only adding little to shahedz comment, but all little bits help I hope..

Greetings...

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    The important thing to remember if you decide to use your stereo amp to power the front speakers via the receivers output, you will need to set the volume to a certain setting when setting the system up the first time. This volume setting wil have to be used everytime unless you want the fronts to mismatch the volume of the other speakers.

Therefore when you listen to cd's and you move the volume, you'd have to move it back to the 'home theature reference' volume. In otherwords it could be a bit of a faff.

Again this is what has been said before, but maybe rides the point home ...

13. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I am having exactly the same dilemma as I want my Cyrus stereo amp to run the same set of fromt speakers as my Denon 1906.

The problem with using the pre-outs on the Denon is that the stereo amp may have a very different presentation to the stereo amp being used - it certainly sounds very different to my Cyrus.

I am not sure whether 1 amp to 2 speaker switchers can be used in reverse. QED used to do a 2 amp to 1 speaker solution, but it has been phased out.

The only switcher I can find costs £10 from Maplin, but I am not sure what affect this will have on sound quality.

14. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Note that you can't always use a speaker switch to go between two receivers or amps. Many speaker switches switch only one wire, leaving the other common. That's fine for speakers, but if you try to use it in reverse to switch amps you can get a short.

The only amp switch I've seen is from Niles. I've never seen it in stock, but there are a number of places you can order it from.

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    with nice speakers like the Dali's i would be inclined to stump up the extra to get a 2805 at the minimum......(or 2806 if its on the way soon).....always better to power speakers properly rather than just adequetely..... (tbh i'd actually go for the 3806, but there ya go, i spend other peoples money very easily...heh)

then just use the pre-outs to the audiolabs inputs (aux or tape will do)......ok so their might be a bit of a difference between the Audiolab and the Denon, but for movies sake its not going to be quite so obvious.........it would be more obvious if you are looking to buy a lot of DVD-A and SACD discs.......if not then i wouldnt worry...