1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker connection query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by H4r7y, Jun 5, 2004.

1. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are the advantages to connecting my front speakers up through my sub instead of going through my amp directly. would i notice a difference in movie or stereo mode?

cheers

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If I remember from people's comments it is best for stereo intergration.

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so for music duties it would be better? what about dvd's?
    thanks for the reply btw

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would imagine you would miss out on the dedicated LFE channel even if it was directed to your main speakers.

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive lost you now, could you explain a bit about what you said in your last post?
    thanks

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    OK :lesson:

With 5.1 (or 2.1/6.1/7.1) you have a dedicated Low Frequance Effects channel, the .1:) If you run the sub from the speakers there will be no signals to the LFE. Then you will have to tell the amp to direct the LFE signals to the main speakers. The sub will then pick up on the LFE signels that are being sent to the main speakers and output some itself but you will have to set the subwoofer up yourself (crossover frequancy).

If you used the sub directly connected to the sub all the LFE channel signals will be sent to the sub with the amp controling the crossover.

In Stereo there is no LFE so either the amp directs some to the sub or you have the sub between the speakers to pick it up directly. :lesson:
    I hope this explains it a little better. :smashin:

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah its clicked with me now, so its better for stereo then as it will produce a much more matched and balanced effect from the high to the lows? and it sounds a bit fiddly to setup for dvd's and im not too keen on losing the dedicated lfe signals getting to the sub.
    thanks for the explanation
    :)

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Well if you understand it now you might like to explain it to me. :laugh:

In addition to Dfour's post & for stereo listening only:

Option1) Connect Left and Right speaker cables from amp to main speakers as normal. The sub's L & R Input terminals are also connected (by another pair of speaker cables) to the same Main speaker amplifier terminals. (Maintaining stereo and polarity)

The main speakers are running full range. Producing as much bass as they are capable of. The sub is set to a low cut-off frequency to avoid overlapping the stereo speaker's bass output.

Option 2) The sub only is connected (from the Left and Right Input terminals) to the Main speaker terminals on your amplifier. You connect your speakers only to the subwoofer's L & R Output terminals. The sub then acts as a (stereo) crossover between subwoofer and speakers. Saving your main speakers (and amp) some bass effort.

The sub now produces all of the bass and the speakers everything above the setting on the crossover frequency control. This is usually at around 80Hz. The sub must be fed with stereo in both options even though it can only play in mono itself. The sub amplifier's circuitry ensures stereo is maintained for the high level Output terminals.

A third (and fourth) option would involve two subwoofers. One for each channel. Left & Right. Either connected direct or via the sub's crossover as in options 1 & 2.

I hope this helps to fill out Dfour's much briefer explanation.

I should also have added that option 1 is the preferred method. Only you can say whether option 2 is inferior. (It adds a level of filtration that might spoil the sound quality)

Nimby

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thx Nimby that fills in some holes of my knowledge to :D I love these forums ;)

10. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so, if i did option 1 i would have the speakers hooked up twice then? once from the amp and then again from the output on the sub? how would this work when playing movies?

thanks guys

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    NO i dont think you can do that safely. Its either one or the other.

MY 309 manual says DO NOT CONNECT HI AND LOW LEVEL CONNECTS At THE SAME TIME. :nono:

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sorry. I was assuming (wrongly) that your sub could be connected to high and low at the same time. :blush:
    Which is true for REL, SVS and (I believe) MJA. B & W are low level only on the models I've studied.

If it's a case of either/or (hi or low) then just go with the usual LFE or Sub-out phono socket. (low level connection)

The high level connections are really for the highest possible quality stereo music enjoyment. Or for those who still like to use a high quality 2 channel stereo amp for everything.(including films)

So, forget everything I've said so far. Unless you do have high level connections (speaker type terminals) on your sub and are allowed high and low level connections at the same time. Just keep it simple and feed your sub direct from your 5.1 receiver or 5.1 amp. :)

Nimby

13. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just looked in my manual and it does state not to use both at the same time. so ill leave it the way ive got it.
    thanks guys