1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker compatability with a car radio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by agentuk, Apr 2, 2005.

1. agentuk

agentuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a question regarding compatibility between some home aduio speakers with a car radio.

The situation: I want to install an unused car radio in my kitchen (purely for space reasons) and connect this to some unused home audio speakers.

The equipment (specs taken from the instructions):
    Car radio: Aiwa CT-R418, power output 4x40W, Load Impedance 4ohms, Preamp output (load impedance) 2.2v(10kohms) don't know if this is relevent.
    Speakers: Mission 731i bookshelf speakers, Impedance 8ohms, 25-75W recommended amplifier input.

Thank you

Is this a compatable set up? Even if it is not a perfect match is there any possibility for damage to either the car radio or speakers?

2. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The quick answer is no it won't damage your speakers and should be fine. I had a similar thing in my garage at one stage. How do you intend powering the headunit though?

3. agentuk

agentuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi alancolledge, thanks for you reply. I am hoping to power the unit with a stepdown transformer from 240v to the required power voltage of between 12-16v. I am suer you can readily pick up such a transformer. thanks, agent uk.

4. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll need more than a transformer, as the radio will need DC. Also, you may find that it has to be a particularly well smoothed DC, as a car radio may be susceptible to mains hum - something it doesn't need to be immune from in a car! And get the polarity right, or your car radio might be no more!