Speaker Combination Set up.

norfbech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just in process of setting up home network (Cat/Co-Ax cabling etc) and need to add speakers to a few rooms (whilst the ceilings are down I can get as much wire as I can in).

I'm going from a simple set up as follows:

6:1 surround system for TV, CD, DVD in living room.
Stereo speakers in room/office (for music/computer work).
Um...DAB radios and PC speakers elsewhere.

I just want to replicate the above but with speakers wired to each room and possibly to a node zero set up. As I'm on the strictest of budgets, I'm looking at some temporary budget ceiling speakers (cheapest I can get, although many of the ones I've viewed at TLC are 100v?)

I'm ordering the following speaker wire which from feedback on here seems to be just what I'll need:

79 Strand Twin Fig 8 Speaker Cable

For the living room's Sony 6:1 system I think I'm going to wire it up as 7:1 (three front, two mid and two back) but run the back central for the time being and have the two middle as ceiling speakers (there is no other place for mid speakers), but unconnected till I upgrade in the future. Obviously I'll be left with a blank faceplate once I take out the back central (6) speaker.

I'll admit I'm struggling to get to grips with where I'm going to place my speaker wire. I need each room to switch from locally (local amp serving the TV/DVD) and back to the loft (node zero) for NAS streamed iTunes (possibly sonos) and internet radio.
If that's the case, where will I generally need to feed my speaker wire to? I'm guessing I can't wire two x left and right to each speaker (one feeding a local amp and one in the loft)?

As much as I can guess the following speakers are 'bobbin's quality wise, I was hoping to add something like this to the bedrooms and possibly bathroom - again to feed TV's and music server (and perhaps a single stereo speaker):

16.5cm (6.5") Dual Voice Coil Ceiling Speaker / Dual Tweeter

Perhaps spending a little more on the living rooms.

Hope some of that above makes sense?!

Many thanks.

Hi again folks.

In the process of drafting a plan for my network and speakers etc - will try and it post it over the next day or two.
I'll happily admit I'm stuck in a rut over the speaker cable run...Cat and Coax I'm happy about, but this is the one I'm losing sleep over now :( !

Given the 79 strand twin cable I'm going to use, what would be the best method for setting up each room? I've heard people send the cable back to their node zero, but I'm not sure how that would work. My budget has now 'snapped in several places', so this cable run will be set up and left to connect when the next funds are available. I'm edging toward the wired (I'll have enough network sockets linked to a 24 port gigabit switch) sonos kits (and mostly in ceiling speakers due to space in rooms) with perhaps a bridging amp per room (I like the spotify/napster options).
Would I be right in suggesting these sonos amps (Zp120?) can be switched from the network (streaming, say spotify) to a local audio option i.e. live TV or DVD?
If that's the case, then I assume I just need to fit the cable from the new speaker location and to the entry point (via faceplates for example) where the amp will be....right??

Then I read about 4 core cable (which I haven't purchased) and my head wobbled again!

Hope someone can help (if it helps I'll add the plan to the thread sometime today).

Many thanks.

Hi,

I've been away from these boards for a while, busy 'completely underestimating' a house refurb/network project. from joinery to bits of plumbing, brickwork etc etc. Seems like I'll never get there (in moments of dispair) but best just to push on.
Fairly content I've got the networking sorted (most of the accessories purchased, just needs implementing now) but I'm really, really struggling on the best solution for my speakers (which in theory should've been the easier part). Probably comes down to budget (of which there is little of at the moment) and best for future proofing.

I said earlier I'd post up a couple of plans (see below) of where I'd like to place the speakers in each room (most rooms really). My quandary is to where to best terminate them:

Ideally I'd like a zone system so (in the um, rare occasion) we have a party, I can distribute music to several rooms/outdoors at the same time. But also, I need to be able to have each room to switch between the audio library and internet radio (networked) and the local TV/DVD - it's foxing me how I'd do this if I terminate the speakers in my node zero?? I've looked into multi zone amps, but unsure how they would work in my situation? One amp serving multiple zones?

In my heart of hearts, I'm thinking of just terminating the speakers at a point (next to the sockets and AV gear) in each room (they'll be next to an ethernet point of which I'm placing 4 connections per room). With an amp in each room (even just a cheapy with 2 or more way distribution) I'd then be able to switch between TV/DVD and Audio (music library on the network - sonos comes up a lot).

The main living room is surround (currently 6:1 system, but I'll wire up for 7:1) - I suppose if I had a IR emitter for the sony amp, I could place that amp in the node zero in the loft? The other rooms will be stereo - sound quality (much as it hurts me to say it!) will have to play second fiddle to a non existent budget. Space reasons, I'd prefer to add in ceiling speakers and upgrade quality wise in the future...afterall, at the moment, I'm listening to audio (radio/Cd) through tiny portable radios and the TV's!

groundfloorspeakers.jpg

firstfloorspeakers.jpg

I'd really, really appreciate if somebody can point me in the right direction here...it's sending me a bit 'doo lally'!!

Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom