Speaker choices, whats a man to do ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Thompson, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Thompson

Thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still auditioning speaker packages to complete my upgrade, having already got my DSPAX620 ( thank goodness it won the supertest in What Hi-Fi ).

Anyway the amp sounds warmer more than aggressive so Any suggestions of speaker packages.
    I want floorstanders for the fronts & wall mount for rears but I want speakers able to deliver bass (as a sub is out at this time). But detail in the midrange & ambience.

(QED Quentec P75 coax from my DVD player to the AX620)

What packages do you have and any suggestions on a package capable of delivering fine detail in movie sound tracks.

Thompson

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. Space

Space

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My system consists of Dynaudio Audience 72 (front), Audience 122C (center), B&W305 (rear), B&W302 (rear-centers for ES/EX), REL Storm III (sub). :D

The DA72's have a HUGE bass fundament and I think are therefore very good for homecinema.

4. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may want to try the speakers & subwoofers forum. No offense!.

I would also suggest that you will have to compromise on at lerast one of your preferences, as you will find it difficult to find speakers that will produce deep & tight bass, detail and ambiance. Unless you want to spend a fortune on speakers.

My own thoughts on AV are that you can only really expect oomph & steering from bugget to midrange systems. I myself have an AX-1 and top of the range Mission 78 series speakers for front and 77 series for rear, using the AX-1 as a pre-amp with 2 Cyrus Powers for mains. And even with my experience of Hi-Fi systems over the past 20 years, cannot get anything approaching the detail & ambience you are looking for, unless I add a dedicated pre-amp for 2 channel listening.

But maybe i'm just unlucky with this setup so please take my thoughts & experiences for what they are. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would tend to agree with above post's, certainly the Mission cinema 7 or perhaps one of the smaller B+W packages, anything more will, in all honesty "outshine" the Yamaha.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Kef q35's, q15's and an 80c perhaps all going cheap at the moment and more than a match for the amp.

7. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would also recommend the mission 7 series