Speaker Choice for Newbie

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dazgough, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dazgough

dazgough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am planning some demos of kit so this thread is not designed to replace that. However, I am a newbie when it comes to home cinema and hifi gnerally so was after some advice.

I have a budget of between £800 - £1000 for a home cinema setup that I would describe as 50/50 with regards to listening to music and watching films. I listen to most types of music from classical to R&B. Pretty much everything with the exception of hard rock.

I have an ipad also that I would like to use to stream music using airplay and with a well rated app as well, the pioneer VSX-921 looks a front runner (admittedly I am awaitng a demo).

My room space is of average size 19ft by 13ft but the sofa can only be up against a wall. The front speakers would also need to be up against a wall.

My question is given that the system will be used as much for music as it would be cinema experience, is it possible to build a system in parts? I.e I would really like a set of floor standers (probably due to thier looks but also music value) but then may build it up with the addition of the rears etc later? I have also heard of tonal balance and speaker matching etc so not sure how this would work? The other option I suppose would be a speaker package with satellites (like the kef eggs etc) but not sure how good these would be with music?

A big question I know so apologies, but like I say, this post is not designed to replace demos but more to help with theory.

Cheers

Daz

2. technique786

technique786

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You need to wait for someone who truly knows but building a system in parts is highly recommended across this forum. Also to set you mind at ease its the front three speakers that are the most important and i would hazard a guess and say they should be the same for best results.

The rears can be different but for the money you could even get a full 5.1 set that is very nice the q acoustic 2000 range always gets rave reviews for instance.

3. dazgough

dazgough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tecnique786,

Thanks for the advice

Yeah I was hoping the building up of a system is the way to go. Was hoping I would be better off spending my budget initially on a good set of floor standers and a centre and then add a sub and rears when budget allows. Thats my theory anyway but hoping someone can shed some light on if this is correct and about tonal balance etc.

Would also like some advice on the issues of having floor standers up against a wall. Not sure how good it is (if at all) to have rear porters up against a wall etc.#

Cheers

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    You have a reasonable budget, especially if looking to get an AV receiver and pair of speakers, so it should be possible to get a reasonable sounding system for music (although demo first to ensure you are happy with it).
    I would not bother with the Pioneer but go for something like the Denon 2312, this is around £400 in Richer Sounds at the moment, has airplay and will be much better with music as well.
    As for speakers, in general a floorstander is not going to like being right next to the wall and especially a rear ported on. You will get a boundary effect and this can cause boomy bass. However, some speakers are better next to a wall than others i.e. my PMC GBs are very easy to place in a room and do not get affected much by walls but something like the Monitor Audio RX1 is supposed to be very fussy and suffer from boomy bass if too close to a wall. Again going to demo a few options (and pushing them right next to the wall in the demo room) will help to understand which ones are good etc. Makes to look at would include Monitor Audio, Kef, Focal, Tannoy, Morduant Short and mission to name but a few.
    As for matching speakers, I would keep at least the front 3 matching with the same make/model to ensure a good front soundstage. It is less important to have matching rears although personally I prefer to keep them all matching. There is no need to have a matching sub so can buy any make, for some of the best value for money subs have a look at BK Electronics. Considering your sofa is right next to the wall and you have no space to the rear of it then I would consider getting some bipole/dipole speakers (like Monitor Audio BXFX) as rears as these will give a more diffused sound with the limited space and hence a better surround sound.
    Sub/Sat systems like the Kef eggs are always going to be compromised on music so I would ignore these given your requirements.

5. dazgough

dazgough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI PSM1,

Thanks for the great advice.

It certainly sounds like 'building a system' is an option. I will defo look into the Denon amp also.

As I hate cables that are visable, I may even decide not to go with rears and just have floor standers, a center and a sub. Obviously I will miss out on the the 'surround sound' element but I presume this kind of setup would be good music and not bad either for cinema?

Does anyone else do this or is this pointless and frowned upon?

Cheers

Daz

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    Not having rears would be fine if you do not want them. Cables can be routed around a room fairly easily and out of sight if needed. Things like D line trunking can be used and hides cables well. You can also get wireless options but these tend to be expensive and lowers the sound quality from the rears (also not that wireless since you need a power lead to a central unit and then speaker wires from this to the speakers).

7. dazgough

dazgough
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again PSM1,

If I did decide to go for rears (satellite types on stands such as KEF egg etc) how far away from me can I get away with? i.e if I moved my sofa away from the wall 5-6 inches and had the satellites directly behind me (just above head height)at either end of the sofa, would this be too close?

Cheers

Daz

8. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    If you have no space behind the sofa, which it sounds like you have, then I would look at bipole/dipole speakers as rears. These are designed to give a dispersed sound in limited space so will give a good surround effect for your situation. These speakers can be positioned a lot closer to you but you do not want them right next to your head.