Speaker choice for a tricky right-hand location

Dabbles

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I asked this question a few days ago, but circumstances have changed with the introduction of a 65" tv replacing the 55". Whilst I'm incredibly happy with the tv, it's made my choice of speaker for the right hand side even harder than it was before! (Less space to play with.)
floorplan.JPG IMG_0539.jpg

You can see from the floor plan, I have a restricted space on the right hand side (and slightly restricted by the door on the left.) The photo shows the current setup with my old KEF Crestas. The TV unit is being replaced with a longer, lower unit 180cm wide. The TV is 145cm wide. Originally, the plan had been to put bookshelf speakers on the ends of the unit, but now the TV is bigger, I've only got 17cm either side and that would mean the speakers touching the tv. If nothing else, that would look weird.

So, I feel like I have two options.
1. Compact floor standers with front bass ports (Dali Zensor 5 or Klipsch R24-F) and accompanying centre. I'd bring the floor standers as far forward as I can, easily 30cm from the rear, but only a few cm away from the side. If I can get the front of the speaker ahead of the face of the wall is that ok?
2. Something wall mounted like KEF T series or QA 7000i, with a sub. Whilst they would deal with the rear wall situation, it means that side wall is going to have more of an effect (I think?)

Are there any other options out there? And does anyone have any recommendations on speakers outside the ones I've mentioned? AV receiver is currently Marantz NR1506, but not adverse to upgrading if the speaker choice needs it.

Thank you
Chris

The speaker needs moving forward slightly and raising to ear hight. Front ported for sure and stand mounted too, as i suspect wall mounted T series would not be the best option for you. That makes location less critical.

Looking at the room, no matter what you do, there is always going to be a trade off, So with that in mind, I'd look to a pair of small speakers which are front ported.

There are no real ideal speakers for that setup as all speakers do require an amount of breathing space (hence its going to be a compromised system). So the Zensor 5's should work as they're not massive and aren't rear ported.

The Marantz all though small is quite a nice amp and with the room eq and a little human ear tweaking and maybe small adjustments with towing the speakers you should get you to where you want to be. Just remember, there will be a compromise, but it won't be as bad as you think :)

Thanks guys. Going to demo some pairs at the weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

Oh, and the wife has totally vetoed speaker stands, hates them. So bookshelves are out!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom