Speaker choice and placement advice for new kitchen.

jadgf

Novice Member
Speaker choice and placement advice for new kitchen.

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here so please forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I'm having a kitchen extension done in my house which is nearly finished, which will leave me with a 6x5m room. I'd really like to get some quality speakers for this space, however I am slightly restricted by the size and placement of them. Here is a picture of the room right now:
kitchen setup.jpg

I have been looking at placing 2 compact wall-mountable speakers such as the Dali Oberon/Opticon 1s or the Q Acoustic 3020is on either end of the wall (as shown by the red drawings), however I'm a bit concerned that they won't be enough to really fill the room. Would a subwoofer be able to make up for this? Another option would be to place 2 larger bookshelf speakers on a shelf/table against the right side of the wall (the blue drawings).

I will be powering these speakers A/B with some old Castle Acoustics Lincoln speakers in the adjacent room using a Cambridge Audio AXR100.

Any advice or recommendations on speakers and placement choices would be greatly appreciated. My budget is around £700 for the speakers.

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you're looking for some compact speakers which have a big of grunt when being driven then you could look at the Monitor Audio Apex A10 speakers. They will take most of your budget, but I feel in that room you may still need a woofer to tickle the bottom end to add feel as it will be a cold room (being a kitchen), with lots of hard surfaces which could play havoc with any speakers you place in there.

If you are able to add in-ceiling speakers, look at Kef Ci200QR speakers as the UniQ speaker disperses sound sightly differently allowing for a little misalignment whilst still giving a great stereo experience. They're also 8 Ohms which is a must (as must your other speakers be if you run them together (in accordance with the AXR100D manual))

As an alternative, you could look at adding a pair of wireless speakers like the Yamaha MusicCast 50 speakers or a pair of SVS Prime Wireless speakers where you do not have to rely on the other system at all.

If you run down Yamaha's MusicCast route, you will also be able to link them all together

Last edited:

dogfonos

I'd really like to get some quality speakers for this space,

A speaker only sounds as good as the room it's in (bit of a generalisation).

Achieving decent sound quality in many (most?) kitchen and kitchen/diners is notoriously difficult due, as ShanePJ has mentioned, to the generally unforgiving acoustics.

I would hold fire on any speaker purchase until the room is completed. Before any purchase, I'd temporarily move the Castle Lincoln speakers into the new kitchen just to gauge the quality of sound available. After experimenting with the Castle speakers, you may be horrified and feel that spending £700 on a speaker pair is a waste of money.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
A speaker only sounds as good as the room it's in (bit of a generalisation).

Achieving decent sound quality in many (most?) kitchen and kitchen/diners is notoriously difficult due, as ShanePJ has mentioned, to the generally unforgiving acoustics.

I would hold fire on any speaker purchase until the room is completed. Before any purchase, I'd temporarily move the Castle Lincoln speakers into the new kitchen just to gauge the quality of sound available. After experimenting with the Castle speakers, you may be horrified and feel that spending £700 on a speaker pair is a waste of money.

Have to agree with all of the above.

A kitchen is generally a bullet hard box; not really the place for high fidelity.

So, until it’s built and finished I’d save the cash.

At that point you might want to consider one of these.

A bit of an unusual notion given your question, but they are very good sounding, and Dynaudio have something of a serious reputation when it comes to active speakers.

And, perhaps more importantly, they have a decent form of room correction included. That may well make all the difference in a kitchen.

CalvinandHobbes

Standard Member
Perhaps consider in-wall mounted speakers. I like the idea of ceiling mounted speakers as well.

With all of the hard surfaces, it's probably not an ideal space from an acoustics standpoint.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom