Speaker change QA or MA or something else?

RS are on the ball, delivery scheduled for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

The C350 has arrived. Wife's first reaction when I installed in the av stand was "oh my god, it's enormous". She's right, it is rather large. Time will tell if I keep it or swap it for a C150.

The C350 has arrived. Wife's first reaction when I installed in the av stand was "oh my god, it's enormous". She's right, it is rather large.
Mine had a similar reaction! 😂😂 After a few days she's now become accustomed to it!

I think if the C350 was in the lounge setup it would not be staying but luckily its in my "cinema" room which only tends to get used by me.

Initial testing is very promising even without running audessey.

Last edited:
I think if the C350 was in the lounge setup it would not be staying but luckily its in my "cinema" room which only tends to get used by me.

Initial testing is very promising even without running audessey.
I think "we" require pictures of the C350 in situ!

The C350 has arrived. Wife's first reaction when I installed in the av stand was "oh my god, it's enormous". She's right, it is rather large. Time will tell if I keep it or swap it for a C150.

You meant keeping the C350 and possibly swapping the wife. ;)

I think "we" require pictures of the C350 in situ!
It's a bit dull today so not the best pic.

Not the best location but this is how it will have to be.

Attachments

• IMG_20210930_164228.jpg
    IMG_20210930_164228.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 73
It's a bit dull today so not the best pic.

Not the best location but this is how it will have to be.
It's a sealed cabinet design (the speaker). According to MA themselves this means in can be placed inside media cabinets etc, without impacting massively on audio or sound quality.

So while a bit low perhaps, it will certainly be a better match - to the 50's - sonically than your previous QA centre. 😊

It's a sealed cabinet design (the speaker). According to MA themselves this means in can be placed inside media cabinets etc, without impacting massively on audio or sound quality.

So while a bit low perhaps, it will certainly be a better match - to the 50's - sonically than your previous QA centre. 😊
Its a 64cm tall cabinet and the tweeter is about 56cm from the floor so not to bad.

Its a 64cm tall cabinet and the tweeter is about 56cm from the floor so not to bad.
Yep definitely seen worse positioned centre speakers that's for sure!

One other tip: The speaker will "open" up a little sound wise after 100hrs use or so

Watched a couple of movies last night, The Tomorrow War and Totall Recall, and the difference to my ears is significantly better. Vocals are very clear even at low volumes and the overall front sound is much improved. I found the vocals on my QA1000ci to be a lot quieter which meant I was constantly raising and lowering volume on the AVR.

So far I am pleased with the improvements, next stage will be to run Audessey when there is a quiet moment I'm the house.

I have now completed the Audessey setup, results below.....

They look good to me but if anyone sees any changes that may make a positive impact feel free to say. :)

Attachments

• 20211002_155433.jpg
    20211002_155433.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 57
  • 20211002_155341.jpg
    20211002_155341.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211002_155357.jpg
    20211002_155357.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20211002_155412.jpg
    20211002_155412.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 58
All looks good. I did notice your right surround seem to be very different (both in level and distance) to the left. I'm assuming this is due to position of the speaker itself?

All looks good. I did notice your right surround seem to be very different (both in level and distance) to the left. I'm assuming this is due to position of the speaker itself?
Thanks, the layout of the seating position means I am sitting closer to the right surround speaker, not ideal but compromises sometimes have to me made.

Thanks, the layout of the seating position means I am sitting closer to the right surround speaker, not ideal but compromises sometimes have to me made.
Yep that would explain the difference in the surrounds 😊👍🏼

I have now completed the Audessey setup, results below.....

They look good to me but if anyone sees any changes that may make a positive impact feel free to say. :)

Subwoofer gain is too high. -12db = out of range. If you have the lo level gain example 13,00 clock now, reduce it by hour to 12clock and run Audussey again. Yep i know it sucks to do it.. You can first do 3mic position to check does the subwoofer level drop. Not sure how high you have the lo level gain knob now?

Subwoofer gain is too high. -12db = out of range. If you have the lo level gain example 13,00 clock now, reduce it by hour to 12clock and run Audussey again. Yep i know it sucks to do it.. You can first do 3mic position to check does the subwoofer level drop. Not sure how high you have the lo level gain knob now?
Damn I missed that! 🤪🙈

The low level gain is already at the 12oclock position, I can turn it down to the 11oclock position and rerun Audessey. what would you expect the subwoofer gain to be?

The low level gain is already at the 12oclock position, I can turn it down to the 11oclock position and rerun Audessey. what would you expect the subwoofer gain to be?
Mine comes out to -5.5dB (on an SVS SB2000 Pro) when calibrated.

Try 11clock and run it again. Just get it little lower and then it´s ok. You can tweak that level then to taste. Example if you get it back at -8,0db try lowering it by 3-6db. Find the sweet spot for you. Audussey sets the bass quite low so feel free to boost it to your preference.

Try 11clock and run it again. Just get it little lower and then it´s ok. You can tweak that level then to taste. Example if you get it back at -8,0db try lowering it by 3-6db. Find the sweet spot for you. Audussey sets the bass quite low so feel free to boost it to your preference.
This will have to be a job for tomorrow, wife wants to watch a movie. :)

This will have to be a job for tomorrow, wife wants to watch a movie. :)
How very dare she!....

I mean.... Fancy wanting to watch a movie via a 5.1 system! Never heard such a preposterous request! 😂😂😂😂😉

Just had a thought.... if I'm trying to get the sub level closer to -8db then don't I need to set the low level gain higher not lower? So try 1oclock not 11oclock?

Just had a thought.... if I'm trying to get the sub level closer to -8db then don't I need to set the low level gain higher not lower? So try 1oclock not 11oclock?
Nope lower on the low level gain on the actual sub, will result in higher level set by Audessey. At present your sub as set by Audessey (-12dB) is too low. Because the physical gain (on sub) is too high. Audessey is trying to lower it in the AVR, -12dB Is the lowest Audessey can set. -8db (in the AVR is higher), so by setting the gain on the sub itself lower, means Audessey will be able to bump up the sub to -8dB in the AVR.

At the moment it can't do that. On my 4500H, during calibration it shows a dB meter for the subs. As long as its in the green, the gain on my sub is correct. I'm not sure if your Denon does the same though?

Hope this makes sense!

Nope lower on the low level gain on the actual sub, will result in higher level set by Audessey. At present your sub as set by Audessey (-12dB) is too low. Because the physical gain (on sub) is too high. Audessey is trying to lower it in the AVR, -12dB Is the lowest Audessey can set. -8db (in the AVR is higher.

Hope this makes sense!
Thanks, that makes sense now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom