1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Challenge

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Buckland, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a bit nerdy, but here goes....

I have an all-dynaudio audience set-up (40 bookshelf rear, 72 floorstander l/r, 122c centre) and a REL 150e Mk2 sub.

I drive this off a pioneer ax5i av amp. For DVD i pre-out this into a Krell 300i stereo amp into l/r. This allows me to use the l/r dyn 72s/krell/rega planet for better quality cd.

Anyway, i was wondering what is optimum large/small/sub hi-lo/av amp crossover for all this.

In particular, the dyns go down quite a long way:
    40: 53 hz, 72: 48hz, 122c: 46 hz.

My amp allows me to set crossover at 50 or 80hz, but not for individual speakers.

At the moment, i have the l/r set to large, centre/rears set to small and the REL connected at hi (to come in below the l/r) and lo. The crossover is set at 80hz.

I was wondering if this is getting the most out of my system. Should i also set the centre to large and crossover at 50hz?

This is all very confusing. Anybody got any further advice?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not very helpful I know, but for a few seconds I thought you had 40 rear speakers and 72 floorstanders in your setup :rotfl: I was wondering what sort of aircraft hanger you had it in :rolleyes:

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Best to have a play till you hear what sounds best to your ear. I go against the general consenses with my set up. Most people set there crossover to 80hz, set their speakers to small and have lfe sub only. I set my fronts to large, set cross over to 80Hz and have bass set to lfe + main. This just sounds best to me but I know some people experience both constructive and destructive inteference between their mains and sub with this set up.

Sounds good to me though which is all that counts :)

4. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ive got (as you can see in my sig):

Dynaudio Audience 122 (LR) and the 122C, oh and some non-descript but tonally suitable RAM bookshelf speakers for the rears.
    REL Strata III and Quake II.
    BFD.

My front speakers have a typical lower end response of 45hz, although in room it is more like 30hz (room resonance is 33hz so my room effectively extends my speakers response). So I figured on setting my crossovers at 50hz, all speakers small. This also prevents the front speakers being fed signals they cant reproduce. Admittedly with the aid of the spectra RTA software and a sine wave generator, I have made light work of bass management - the Strata mostly works below 40hz while the Quake is there for resonance control. I chose to crossover at 50hz for the mains (rather than set them to large), so I could use the BFD on the two subs to reduce the resonance in my room and run them out of phase to apply damping to that frequency. its like my room has disappeared! sorry, back to your question... :D

your room characteristics will largely dictate which crossover point to use. if your speakers sound like they are driving the room well below their specified frequency response (due to room resonance), you might try 50hz but if you find a hole develops in the bass either above or below that, you will probably have to use 80hz and use your sub's ABC (does the 150 have that?) to bring it in under the front three. it really does all depend on your room's acoustics and your speaker placement, and as said above, use your ears and choose whichever crossover point works best for you.

Chris

5. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mine is here:

http://www.forumpictures.de.vu/

check out Da Menace or Alex B.'s System....that's me and mine. Pics a bit out of date, cause I moved the fronts slightly away from the TV to get better sound and I just ordered two MJ Acoustics Reference Is and am awaiting delivery.

As soon as I've got them set up, I will upload new photos.

6. Buckland

Buckland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried switching all the speakers to small on the ax5i, but then the sub woof option disappears. Is this becuase it is now on automatically (i assume so)?