1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Calibration on Denon 3805

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dvdchild, Jun 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i have recently bought a radio shack analogue SPL meter to calibrate my levels on my Denon 3805 receiver.

Please can someone advise exactly how i should do this. This is what i think i need to do.

Using my Dolby Setup dvd, play the channel level section which plays the pink noise test tones for ach speaker and adjust main volume on receiver to 00db. Then adjust each speaker level so that it reads 75db. Meter is set to 80db, C and slow weighting.

Am i right or should i be using the receiver internal test tones, what volume should i have it at (00db) etc etc

Your help would be most appreciated as i am tearing my hair out to get a definative answer.

DVDCHILD

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    When I did my 3802 I used the internal tones, but there is no reason why you shouldn't use another source if you have it - I don't own any calibration discs. (I'm sure someone will now come along and tell you the opposite citing lots of technical issues just to confuse matters :D )

Have you tried measuring the output as is, after the Denon auto calibration has done it's stuff? Is it far out?

As for the process, thats exactly how I did mine, I first of all set the amp to 00 and then used the internal test tones and adjusted each channel to 75db. I then tweaked the sub by ear using a few discs that I was very familiar with, as I wasn't happy with how it integrated with the rest of the system after I had calibrated it.

3. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    right i've set the volume at 00db via amps test tones and calibrated it so that all channels except sub are reading 85db. Seems to be ok and i just to sort out the sub so it intergrates into the the system better.

I reckon that in the past the auto setup calibrates to at least 85db as i have done 75db & 85db and there is a big difference.

DVDCHILD

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    When you set the levels doesn't it just apply to the surround mode you're on at the time (i.e. Dolby Digital with Avia)? Do you just set the levels the same when playing back a DTS soundtrack or who do you calibrate the levels for DTS scientifically? I thought each surround mode and even ext-in etc stored their own settings?

Cheers
    Andy

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    Dolby/DTS/PLIIx/DTS Neo get lumped together as one mode by the Denon so if you adjust the levels in one of those modes it will have a knock on effect to the others. Best way to make sure all modes are balanced correctly when using a test disc is to adjust as normal in Dolby Digital, make a note of the channel levels and then go into the main setup menu and key them into the master channel level menu there. This will make sure that ALL modes on the amp have the same levels.

It will store seperate settings for Stereo, 5/7CH Stereo, Widescreen 7.1, EXT IN etc but just bear in mind what I mentioned before, Dolby/DTS etc are classed as one mode by the amp. It should however, let you store seperate settings for digital and analog sources.