Speaker cabling w/o compromising soundproofing

howieeb

Hey guys. I could do with some advice as i'm torn re. cabling for a new theatre room. We're building a room within a room and the current plan is to keep all cabling internal to not undo some of the work in soundproofing the space by cutting holes in it. We'd have to chase cables through skirting and conduit to get where it needs to go and i'm concerned it won't look that neat. The eventual plan is to fabric the walls/ceiling, which should cover most of this, but it'd be better to have all the cabling neat and hidden away if possible. Plus it could take years before we can afford/have the time to get the fabric in place! I'm also not keen with the idea of running a chunky power cable along the wall and across the ceiling to get to the projector.

Are we being overly cautious with this? Are there standard ways of achieving both? The room is next to a bedroom so we're keen to keep things as quiet as possible. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Some pics and plans would be handy to better understand what you are planning and the stages which will be required to get there over time.

Joe

Harkon321

There is a thread on here (dreamer stops dreaming). He did full room within a room, independent joists etc and I'm sure he cabled in room. I've just done decoupled stud work etc but I still ran the cables in the cavity. The thing I've realised that the door is the weakest link by a huge margin. I knew it would be, but I didn't really understand how much. You can put so much effort in to the walls but unless you're buying a studio door, or double connecting doors, it's ridiculous how much it lets through.

howieeb

Some pics and plans would be handy to better understand what you are planning and the stages which will be required to get there over time.

Joe
Hi Joe,

The room/building doesn't exist yet and this is 12 months down the line. We are going in for tender early next month though and need to specify everything down the the door handles (including cable type, runs, where speaker boxes might need to go etc). The space is 7m*5.1m and will eventually look something like:

1611931639107.png

The grey box top right will be a rack on wheels. Power socket placement yet undecided. The plan is for 7.4.2. - although once the project is done i'm going to be totally skint so it will likely be a very quiet, emtpy dark room for a while!

There's a 1cm gap between the inner and outer walls. Ceiling is decoupled and lots of mass on the floor. Outer door will be a pocket door and inner door likely a thick firedoor/s with seals. If cabling were to be chased through the walls I guess it would all go through a largish hole behind the rack, into the walls and then distributed over the room. The concern is turning the inner wall into swiss cheese.

There is a thread on here (dreamer stops dreaming). He did full room within a room, independent joists etc and I'm sure he cabled in room. I've just done decoupled stud work etc but I still ran the cables in the cavity. The thing I've realised that the door is the weakest link by a huge margin. I knew it would be, but I didn't really understand how much. You can put so much effort in to the walls but unless you're buying a studio door, or double connecting doors, it's ridiculous how much it lets through.
Hi Harkon,

I've been in touch with dreamer a few times - he's been super helpful! Re. your speaker cables - how do you have the cables coming back into your room? Did you put speaker boxes in the walls?

Re. the door - we are having two and will do our best to make them as sealed as possible!

Last edited:

Harkon321

Two doors is the dream. Wouldn't have worked in my space, I didn't think, but it would have helped a lot.

Coming back in to the room near each speaker isn't a massive issue. They each go through a small hole through the OSB & plasterboard and then sealed with acoustic chalk. Mine are all in walls so I'd already double lined and greenglued backer boxes for all 11 speakers. The biggest issue is where they all terminate at the cab. There are 4 HDMI, 20 speaker cables, masses of Cat6, 4 subwoofer cables. I've just bought them through two brush plates in the false wall. There is then 100mm dense block wall and plasterboard behind that separating the next room. My cab is right at the back and it's the furthest point from the main house so, although not ideal, the door on the wall is far more of an issue.

If there is room in the cavity you could built a larger backerbox and built the equivalent of a dead vent for the cables?

How to build a dead vent system

howieeb

Two doors is the dream. Wouldn't have worked in my space, I didn't think, but it would have helped a lot.

Coming back in to the room near each speaker isn't a massive issue. They each go through a small hole through the OSB & plasterboard and then sealed with acoustic chalk. Mine are all in walls so I'd already double lined and greenglued backer boxes for all 11 speakers. The biggest issue is where they all terminate at the cab. There are 4 HDMI, 20 speaker cables, masses of Cat6, 4 subwoofer cables. I've just bought them through two brush plates in the false wall. There is then 100mm dense block wall and plasterboard behind that separating the next room. My cab is right at the back and it's the furthest point from the main house so, although not ideal, the door on the wall is far more of an issue.

If there is room in the cavity you could built a larger backerbox and built the equivalent of a dead vent for the cables?

How to build a dead vent system
Cheers Harkon. I'll have a look at the dead vents link in your sig as i'm not sure really sure what they are!

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom