1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker cabling question for home cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Freelancer, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm thinking about getting Wharfedale Diamond 9 speakers as a full surround package.

However, i wondered about the cabling.

Are there any speaker cables supplied? Will they have banana plugs on their end? Is the standard cabling good enough to enjoy the quality of the speakers, or do i have to invest in ultra high quality and costly calbing to really get the best sound? If i do have to buy good cable, what cables am i after getting for connection (of front centre, front right, front left, sub, rear right and rear left) to an amp? Will the QED Silver Anniversary XT cables suffice? Does the cable to the sub have to be different?

This is all a bit confusing. :suicide:

2. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Normally, you don't get cable with speakers. Whether you wish to spend lots of money on speaker cable is up to you. There are always arguments about whether or not it makes a difference. If you do a search on these forums you'll see quite a few threads on making your own cable with either mains or CAT5 network cable. This is a lot cheaper than buying cale and does sound better IMHO but it depends if you can be bothered to mess about making cables. For the surrounds you probably could get away with one or two CAT5 cables per speaker rather than the three (or more) that people normally use for fronts.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Almost exactly what I was writing before my breakfast beckoned me away! However cat5 is bulky and very good results can be had cheaply using simple 42 or 79 strand cable. This is more than adequate for Diamond 9s in normal listening conditions.

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,235
    for the main front and centre speakers i would use failry decent cable ( in my opinion decent is about £2-3 per meter) for the rears i just used discreet cheap cable as you dont really notice it as much,

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    dunno if they still sell it, but Richer Sounds used to do this really nice chunky Gale cable, and it was absolutely fantastic on Wharfedale speakers, wasnt too expensive, prolly about £3/m singlewire......but it seemed to let everything through and give a nice open sound :)

then for the rears just get the thinner Gale cable if you want it more discreet....

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oh, forgot, for your sub you need a single RCA 75ohm rated phono cable, a digital coaxial will do, expect to pay around £40 for 3-5m at most, anything more is probably overkill.........thats for the LFE channel, altho if your sub supports hi level neutrik connection i highly advise you use that for stereo music, its lovely :)
    (need to know more about the sub tho to say if you can do that)

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    oh, and when u get the cable, fit banana plugs, its such a pain to sit there wiring the speakers up without them...lol

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    The cable I think you mean is Gale XL315 (ofc, transparent covering, chunky) @ about £3/metre

Thinner stuff is Gale XL189 @ about £1 or £2/metre

They still sell it, but the exposed ends do corrode fairly seriously after a year or so, so banana plugs a good option if you pick this wire.

Hope this helps,

Dan.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Freelancer

Loudspeaker cabling tends to polarise opinions - some say huge differences some say no difference.

You don't require to spend a fortune to get your system up and running and enjoy Movies and Music on it and equally you don't need to go with a big brand cable you see in all the magazines.

Fitting Banana or Spade terminations makes connectivity easier and potentially stops any possibility for stray wires touching and minimises the affect of oxidation on the ends of the cable.

VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm OFC retails at 1.43/m and can be supplied pre cut and pre terminated for not much more than the price of the cable.

Best regards

Joe

10. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you for the advice all. :)

I was thinking about going with the QED Anniversary Xt cables. But it's £5.50 a metre, and the Airlock terminals are £5 each. I worked out what the total cost of my cabling needs would be if i decided to go with these and it cost nearly £200! hmm. I'm sure i could get good quality cabling for half this price or more than half.

Option i'll consider due to your advices:

VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm OFC
    Gale XL315

Those cables seem like better options. I might go with the Van Dammes though, due to the cheaper price. I'm sure they'd work a treat. Can anyone recommend some good quality banana plugs that won't break the bank?

I'll need 16 i think in total, that's 2 for each end of each cable. However, i'm unsure. I notice that the connection for the front centre/right/left is:

Screened, gold-plated 4mm banana plug/binding posts
    And these speakers are NOT biwirable.

I do want to maximise quality whereever possible, but at a mid-range budget - i think the QED anniversary Xts and the airlock plugs are out of my price range!

11. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +400
    I have to disagree with shahedz. Just some cheap cable for your rear/surrounds. Use the same quality all round, if not better quality for the rear/surrounds. In theory because the rear/surrounds involve longer runs, you should use a thicker gauge wire than that used for your front speakers. Quality of speaker cable should not be chosen on the amount of time a speaker is in use but on the tonal balance of your system when ALL the speakers are in use. I see this kind of statement on a regular basis, "cheaper cable is okay for your rear/surrounds," this makes little sense. Being a little facetious, why bother connecting them at all? I am not arguing the Cat5 v expensive cable thing here. This applies regardless of whether you are using Cat5 or Chord Odyssey. It's about balance whichever way you go, homemade or retail. Absolute minimum is same all round.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Freelancer

If you have a 5:1 Non Bi-wired system you require:

5 x Loudspeaker cable runs
    20 x 4mm Banana Plugs
    1 x RCA to RCA Screened sub cable

As before VanDamme Blue Series 2x1.5mm pre terminated with standard 4mm Banana plugs is ideal and a VanDamme 6.0mm Classic Pro instrument cable for the sub will do a good job and not break the Bank.

Best regards

Joe

13. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks again Joe for your input.

I'll check out the prices on those cables.

14. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,
    I've just purchased a Pioneer AX5ai and is arriving Friday. What plugs will i require if any, to connect my speaker cables into.
    Thanks
    Scott

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello Blingtastic

Your Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai will accept Bare Wire or 4mm Banana plugs - you need to take five minutes to remove the 'bungs' in the Pioneer binding posts so you can insert the 4mm plugs.

Bare wire is a pain on most AV Receivers as the connectors are spaced so close together it takes an age and requires deft fingers to get everything where it should be.

Best regards

Joe

16. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Joe is a retailer but he is offering the best solution given the speaker package and choice. Bare wire connections are ok to get you up and running just bear in mind that oxidisation will occur over time which will require cleaning those bare wire connections. All connections benefit from a good clean now and then.
    Caig Deoxit is the prefered solution.

17. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Thanks very much for the information. Atleast i now know that i can connect everything up without the plugs as a trial run before putting everything into place.

Rgds
    Scott

18. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pwood, I'll fit the plugs once all the equipment arrives today.

19. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Actually, i'm now thinking of going for Mordaunt Short Genie 5.1s, and not the Wharfedales. Will QED micro speaker cable be fine enough for this system? Also what about IXOS XFA01 subwoofer cable? And i'm guessing i'll have to still use 20 plugs? Although, i did read in a review that:

Not quite sure what that means there as i plan to ideally have my Genies on their speaker stands with banana plugs into the back - not wall mounted. Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

20. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed the FPM's yesterday but cannot fit banana plugs as they will not fit when wall mounted. Will use them on the amp though.

21. Freelancer

Freelancer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    FPM's?

22. Blingtastic

Blingtastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B&W FPM-4 are the flat panel wall mounted jobbies. Very nice in my eyes and go with the Pioneer plasma perfectly. A little photi attached.