speaker cables

S

showcase

hi
sorry if this has been covered before...
what kind of cables do i need to attach the speaker to the amp/receiver, i am looking for quality sound, hardly any distortion, possibley flat cables as i have to run them up a wall, or ones which can be painted over....

also where can i get the cables from???

cheers for the advice in advance

:lease:
also running longer cables make alot of difference in sound quality??? well the back four speakers are about 6 - 8 meters away..

hi showcase, 6-8m should not cause any problems at all with sound quality. Also I would not expect any reasonable cable to introduce audible distortion to your sound. might be useful to know what kit you are using and how much you want to spend. there are a lot of people on here who are very happy with inexpensive, high quality home-made cabel but these are often not that discreet.

i have the DM604 S3 as fronts
and for surround 4 x CDS6 S3

i am looking for flat type cables, as they can be painted over i think :rolleyes:

want some that can be comaflaged, and dont show up tooo much on the wall

cheers again

is there a sound quality difference between flat and round (normal) cables?

which are best for my spec of speakers, see above

showcase said:
is there a sound quality difference between flat and round (normal) cables?

which are best for my spec of speakers, see above

Given appropriate costs,etc,there will be no difference,and both would suit your speakers.

There's a huge range of cables,to suit every budget,and in pretty much every shape and size also.

Be careful to choose something appropriate in terms of cost,and not to go mad on the cables,when upgrades eleswhere can provide bigger benefits.

the maximum cable i need for the back 2 speakers is 11 meters, nw what sort of cables will i need, as said before sound quality is a must, well i would like to keep the budget to < £50, i can streach to a maximum £100, thats only if the cables are going make a difference in sound quality

any help plez on the cables

cheers

Well - for a lot of speakers over some distance at high quality for not much money then cables made of CAT5 computer networking cable are pretty much unbeatable. Not wildy discrete but it does work very well

hi

what is £100 abit too less for good cables??????? i really dont nw if i should try cat5 cables...... i'm looking around and some opinions are well plez

i have looked at profigold cables.. nw on their website they do not seem to have speaker cables, but i have heard they do them..... i could not find any

i also looked at IXOS cables but they seem, most of them the seem teh same but then it the price difefrence i do not get, i looked at serveral cables and the spec is the same for al most all of them.

i also checked out qed originals cables tehy seem ok, but again not sure with the sound quality

any suggestions on cables plez even other manufactureres.....
sorry but where i live i cannot try these cables out or have a look at them, so i am relaying on some feed back :lease:

Unless you have some very exotic amps and speakers, then pretty much anything with enough cross-sectional area will do. For example, I know several people who have just used mains electricity cables and claimed very pleasing results - and those are very cheap (just get a roll at any hardware store). CAT5 takes more work as you need several runs per speaker (and can split the twisted pairs with one of each pair being used for feed and the other negative), but at about £35 for over 300 metres it is very cheap and very high quality (See link below for more info on both mains and CAT5)

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html

If you want to go for stuff that is sold as speaker cable then you could just try anything from suppliers like Maplin that has enough cross-sectional area (the thin stuff, sometimes referred to as bell wire, isn't any good for any serious speakers or over any distance)

Cheers

Greg

If you're looking at IXOS, I have some 607 left from wiring up the rears, works perfectly well in this application for me. I think it retails at about £2/m (mono) but if you're interested let me know and I'll pop an ad in the classifieds section (I'd sell at half price plus postage).

Al

hi

untill the room finishes... well i have DM604 S3 and CDS6 S3, and thinking to getting av/amp receiver marantz sr8500, or yamaha 2500, 4600, or denon 3805, 2106

i am waiting untill the room is finished by then i would have decided what av/reveiver i am getting, want one with either dvi or hdmi connection

so will any cables do, as suggested?

i hope this is gives a better look at the system, or going to have....

any help as before appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom