Answered Speaker Cables...?

Teknikality

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers, going from fairly basic Yamaha speakers that came as part of a kit to radius 250HD's (so far I've bought the left and right and am looking for one to use as a centre)
2 questions really;
What speaker cable should i buy that will showcase the better speakers without breaking the bank?

I've seen a radius 250 on teabay, how much difference is there between the radius 250 and 250HD?Given that the non HD one would be the centre am I right in thinking I should wait and get a 250HD for the centre as well?

Thanks,
Mike.

I'm in the process of upgrading my speakers, going from fairly basic Yamaha speakers that came as part of a kit to radius 250HD's (so far I've bought the left and right and am looking for one to use as a centre)
2 questions really;
What speaker cable should i buy that will showcase the better speakers without breaking the bank?

I've seen a radius 250 on teabay, how much difference is there between the radius 250 and 250HD?Given that the non HD one would be the centre am I right in thinking I should wait and get a 250HD for the centre as well?

Thanks,
Mike.

Definitely try to get 250HD for center aswell. Most optimal situation with three of same speakers at front. HD model has different tweeter to normal 250 (freq response up to 35kHz vs 25kHz).

For speaker cables this would do the trick. There is different length available (AWG13);
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AWG-13-Cop...+Speaker+Cable+white+|+99,99%+OFC+pure+Copper

No need to be any big sexy brand with some uber cool pictures explaining the space technology it has.. :suicide:

snake-oil-of-the-year-award.jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Nothing makes angrier than the hype we have over speaker cables. I love the phrase OFC . If you melt copper and cast it, Then draw it into a thin wire or extrude it. It must as a liquid be oxygen free. If it was not it would be rusty! (green or black)

A good quality audio cable as suggested would be fine. However, make sure you use good secure connections. Stange how they seem to work free from the speakers.

If you can tell the difference between the speaker wires, you have better ears than me.

I saw a test a while ago where they tested top end cables, budget cables and coat hangers, people couldn't tell the difference!
Tbh i just wanted something i could search for as when you type speaker wire in anywhere you get millions of results!

Get the cheapest branded cable that has decent shielding (you don't want the cable picking up phone signals etc) and is easy to install. Perhaps with pre done banana plugs.

Don't bother with super expensive stuff - it will make such little difference compared to just buying better speakers.

Edit: I bought QED micro as I got a good deal on it when I got my 685 S2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom