Speaker cables

Bristol Rover

Novice Member
Doing some research into a prospective home cinema kit.

I'm planning on buying a Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 set up, and pairing it with a Yamaha 3020 and an Oppo 105 Blu ray player.

Next issue is cabling. From what I've been reading, it's a waste of money paying £100s for HDMI cables, so I'll be getting £5 cables.

Does the same apply to speaker cables/sub cables? I don't want to spend good money on high end equipment and then let it down with the cabling, so if it's worth spending the money I will.

Also - what connectors should I have? I have no idea what will fit into the AVR or what goes into the back of the speakers. I've seen all sorts of connectors advertised; banana, spade, surefix.

What are these, and which ones do I need?

Can I get away with just bare cables with no connectors?

Impartial advice appreciated!

spud12345

Check out van damme blue speaker cable from rapidonline.com if you need a big 100m reel. Use bare wire straight into the avr and speakers unless you want more connections and possible interference.

John.

Nick1881

Many people will tell you speaker cable makes no difference, I was in this club until I started trying different cables. I have found that spending more doesn't always mean better. I had van damme and its ok but not great, Tulsa Arrow is brilliant for the money if you can find some.

whattheflac

Try Blue Jeans Cable. Reasonably priced and great info on website build quality is top grade

Rich9600

Chord Co. wires work well for me with Monitor Audio speakers.

Initial spend over the cheap stuff makes a big difference, then it's diminishing returns. I've got the Chord £2,5,10,20 per meter in different places and I'd say the £5/m is the best value sound vs cost. The £2 is easily good enough for long runs to the back.

But, for my music side I've splurged on the £20/m. It makes some difference but very much less for your money up there and above.

Last edited:

Ashmanuk

madhatter86 said:
Next issue is cabling. From what I've been reading, it's a waste of money paying £100s for HDMI cables, so I'll be getting £5 cables.

!

Good luck with that!! Can you imagine the quality of that solder holding all those tiny pins together.

HDMI connectivity is a nightmare sometimes "not all the time" but when it plays up then what is to blame TV? Amp ? BD Player? Sky? Or that HDMI cable?

I suppose it only cost £5 not the end of the world.

Audiquest Pearl range are very good value money 1 metre about £24 you don't need to be spending £££,££

Last edited:

Soundmangt4

Good luck with that!! Can you imagine the quality of that solder holding all those tiny pins together.

HDMI connectivity is a nightmare sometimes "not all the time" but when it plays up then what is to blame TV? Amp ? BD Player? Sky? Or that HDMI cable?

I suppose it only cost £5 not the end of the world.

Audiquest Pearl range are very good value money 1 metre about £24 you don't need to be spending £££,££

There is no difference in picture or audio quality between a £5 HDMI cable and a £100 HDMI cable if it is HDMI V1.4. FACT.

Speaker cabling and analogue cables are a different matter, and worth spending a few quid more.

Another +1 for Van Damme from me. :smashin:

Rich9600

Soundmangt4 said:
There is no difference in picture or audio quality between a £5 HDMI cable and a £100 HDMI cable if it is HDMI V1.4. FACT.

Speaker cabling and analogue cables are a different matter, and worth spending a few quid more.

I've got a £130 Chord Co HDMI that came with a magazine subscription. Nice but no real noticeable difference above cheaper ones. I can really recommend the NEET ones. About £5-10 for normal lengths on Amazon. Nice tough construction.

I'm in the pro wire camp and have tried most things. I think HDMI's really make the least difference. Even kettle leads come in as more useful IMO...

Last edited:

Soundmangt4

ANY digital connection, be it HDMI, Optical, Co-Ax or any other digital transmission method (especially with the short lengths used in home hi-fi setups), there is no difference between cheap and expensive cables. NONE.

whattheflac

soundmangt4 said:
any digital connection, be it hdmi, optical, co-ax or any other digital transmission method (especially with the short lengths used in home hi-fi setups), there is no difference between cheap and expensive cables. None.

+1

whattheflac

Longevity that comes with quality construction, well you'll need to spend a little more for this.

Ashmanuk

Soundmangt4 said:

Another +1 for Van Damme from me. :smashin:

You didn't read my post did you ;) I was not discussing differences of digital data packets from one cable to another I am talking about build quality and consistency !!!!!

Soundmangt4

You didn't read my post did you ;) I was not discussing differences of digital data packets from one cable to another I am talking about build quality and consistency !!!!!

Fair enough, and whilst I totally agree, I hardly ever touch my HDMI leads. I plug them in and generally only touch them when I replace a piece of kit. I have never had a HDMI cable fail, except when I moved the TV and forgot to unplug one of them. :blush::suicide:
Even then, an expensive well made cable wouldn't have survived, and it only cost me a fiver to replace it! :smashin:

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
You can get good quality cheap cables, you can get crap ones too. Conversely you can get more expensive ones that are so heavy they tend to tug at the (small and insecure) connector. There seems to be v little consistency really.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Discussion is about speaker cable recommendations: keep on topic please.

Ashmanuk

spyder viewer said:
Discussion is about speaker cable recommendations: keep on topic please.

Oops sorry,

Ok we'll I would highly recommend the "again ;)" Audioquest SlipFlex 4 @ £6 per metre and is very good indeed.

Nick1881 said:
Many people will tell you speaker cable makes no difference, I was in this club until I started trying different cables. I have found that spending more doesn't always mean better. I had van damme and its ok but not great, Tulsa Arrow is brilliant for the money if you can find some.

This weekend I upgraded my interconnect and speaker cable. Went from Audioquest King Cobra XLR to Studio Connections Reference Plus XLR and the Reference Plus speaker cable from same brands Monitor cable. Monitor cable was about £75 a meter, the reference £145 a meter....interconnect for 1m is £560. Massive improvement even before run in period. I could not care less what the snake oil camp say, I'm super impressed with what the new cable is doing for my system and my level of satisfaction.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
How does a cable run in? No moving parts so what exactly is running in? As long as you are happy with your purchases then that is all that matters.

Soundmangt4

How does a cable run in? No moving parts so what exactly is running in? As long as you are happy with your purchases then that is all that matters.

What do you mean '... no moving parts ...' ???

The electrons move back and forth along the cable, don't they ! ;)

Surely they have to 'learn' the characteristics of the new cable they are being sent down ?

e.g. Type of conductor (is it single strand or multi-strand )?

Are all the strands just twisted together or are they in multiple bundles ?

Is the conductor just plain copper, 'pure' copper, oxygen-free copper, etc ?

Is there a large spacing between the 'go' and 'return' conductors ?

What dielectric is used ?

Surely, only when the electrons have become accustomed to all these changes can they begin to give their optimum performance ?

:devil:

blue max

Distinguished Member
I would always recommend buying something of good quality, that is suitable for the task and running that for a while so you can get used to the sound.

You may find the urge to experiment. After all, these people who spend £500 on speaker cable and are astounded by the difference can't all be fools can they? Perhaps loan something more expensive from a hifi shop. See if it makes a difference to you and be sure to report back here. Ensure that the cable is burned-in whatever that is supposed to be, so you are getting the full effect.

Maybe try just one cable and switching from left to right channel to see if there is a difference. You should be able to tell instantly by the way the advocators are talking. I have no problem with you knowing which is which. If you get a warm glow by knowing they are ten times the price, enjoy the glow.

Just watch your budget. A great speaker/amp will sound good with poor cable. A poor speaker/amp will sound poor with a 'great' one. Ensure you wouldn't be better upgrading one of those components with the money first.

The only person you have to please is yourself. You do not need to convince a forum.

larkone

Distinguished Member
The electrons also need to understand how expensive the cable was so they behave accordingly. At a £175/m they are going to be very well behaved. :rotfl:

blue max

Distinguished Member
The electrons also need to understand how expensive the cable was so they behave accordingly. At a £175/m they are going to be very well behaved. :rotfl:

Are they educated at the factory and added just before delivery? Or do they learn on the job? Wonder if I can just buy the smart ones and slip them into my cables.

What a fascinating world.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom