Speaker cables under florrboards

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Intelz, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Intelz

Intelz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,
    Need some advice.
    I am in the process of installing some speaker cables.
    I am running these under the floor boards by drilling a hole at one end and another one at the oposite end and fishing the cable through.

Question is, do I need specific speaker cable for this?
    I have read that you should use CL2 or CL3 cable for in wall installation.
    Although I am going to be running is under the florr boards where there is a gap of around 1.5 feet.
    Thanks.
    Alex.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,902
    There will be no problems running any speaker wire under the floorboards. Try not to run them near to electrical cables, they may cause interference. I would use a minimum of 14 guage.

3. Intelz

Intelz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you apprecite your help again
    Alex

4. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,660
    All cables, inc speaker cables, permanently run under floors, in walls and ceilings have to comply with the Construction Products Regulation (CPR), covered by EN50575. This became a legal requirement as of 1st July 2017. This includes all domestic and commercial premises plus hospitals.

5. Intelz

Intelz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,
    Thank you for you reply
    I may be wrong but it looks like it’s only if cables are manufactured after 1st July.
    As I said I may be wrong.

CPR REGULATIONS
    Construction Products Regulations (CPR) Notification

All cables that Direct Cable Supplies have imported from the 1st July will be CPR compliant and carry the relevant identification labels.

As per CPR regulations there is no time constraint to sell any existing stock that was imported prior to the 1st July. Therefore, it is likely you will continue to receive cables without CPR labelling for a short period of time whilst stock rotates.

Direct Cable Supplies have been working towards CPR since September 2016 and are fully prepared and compliant to the new regulations.

Please note all cables have fully traceability which will alleviate any doubts you may have regarding dates of manufacture.

During this stock rotation period, Direct Cable Supplies will not credit or collect any cables that were imported prior to the 1st July that do not carry CPR labelling as this does not fall under the guidelines

The Constructions Products Regulations (CPR) EN 50575:2014. replaces the Constructions Products Directive (CPD) which lays down European harmonised rules for all fixed construction products including cable.

From 1st July 2017, it will be mandatory for manufacturers to apply the CE mark to their products together with the euroclass it meets.

6. Seriously Ltd

Seriously Ltd
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,660
    Yes you are correct.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,266
    What do you mean by Under the Floorboards?

Do you mean between the structural Sub-Floor and the cosmetic floor? Or do you mean in the cellar completely under the floor?

If you mean in the cellar, I'm not sure that counts as contained in the sense as In the floor, or in the wall/ceiling. Though CL2/CL3 rated wire is not that expensive, actually very common and reasonably cheap. There is really no reason not to use it.

Steve/bluewizard