1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cables, the difference?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Frazal666, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to get either a amp & speakers (If I find good ones) or a Panny Mini. If I do choose the Panny Mini, will replacing the speaker cables make any difference. Or better yet, will they fit?

2. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont buy a Panasonic Mini system.

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because separates will always be far far better.

5. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...depending on the seperates. It seems most of the good ones are over my price range, as weel as the fact that almost no speakers and only a few amps are silver (Its a must).

6. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    As some people posted in your other thread (me being one of them ;)), the best system would be something along the lines of the Denon DM-31 and some speakers of your choice, the Panasonic just won't be able to compete in terms of sound quality. If you value quantity over quality, the Panasonic will be just fine.
    PS, to answer your question, better speaker wire on the Panny won't make any difference, silk purses and sows ears..........

7. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, speakers of my choice, not much of a chioce. I Im gonna do this. Test the panny in-store. Remember the quility. Match up an amp and speakers at richersounds, and compare. This way, ill be the one I personally like better. According to reviews, the panny is qiute good, espaecially with the 3D sound equilizer. But testing it first seeems more sensible than listening to others. It seems you have finally convinced me that seperates may be better, but as I said, testing it first seeems more sensible than listening to others. Thanks anyway, and post back what I choose.

8. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cant really "remember" quality :S

The best testing is side to side testing.

There again, if you want to use a "3d sound equaliser" then you wont exactly be into pure sound :rolleyes:

9. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats alright, Im not really into pure real sound (some next level you lot must be on) kinda thing like you guys, I aint on that level...yet. Think ill buy the panny, and buy seperates after a couple of months and give this to someone as a gift or sell it.

10. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I stopped using a Mini system when I was 15 - they are horrible :(

Please dont do it - think of the baby seals :( :p

11. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should be able to get an OK separates system without spending a huge amount (I spent a bit over £100 to get my first separate amp and speakers). A lot of amps come in a silver as well as black option now, though you may have to pay an extra tenner or so...

One thought - if you want silver speakers, could you just give a black pair a coat of paint? I've painted over scrapes on mine (in black) without a problem, and can't think of a reason why painting all the sides of the speaker would cause difficulties (as long as you avoid the drive units and connectors) - would this work? Or could repainting speakers cause problems?

Jon

12. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on ebay - you could easily pick up an Arcam Alpha 3+ amp and a set of kef coda 7 speakers for less than £70 - bargain of the century.

13. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    prefer not to buy from ebay, bad experiences. Im gonna wait a couple of months to buy a hi-fi anyway, as I need a new computer. Maybe by then, more speakers will be out. Or maybe I can paint, but I need to know if it will do anything to the performance. Just to let you all know, the only reason I want a Mini, is because of the looks of the speakers. They look amost "mean". But you lot are making me ebarresed to get a mini:blush: , so I guess im gonna have to buy seperates. Any1 know what I should look out for? In specs or best makes? Thanks.

14. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hifi isnt anyhting like buying a PC - not at all.
    It's not even as straight forward as buying a car.
    you have to go and LISTEN to what you like - everyones ears are different.
    :)

15. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Mission M30s are available in silver. Can only find photos of the black ones at the moment though.

16. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't *think* painting the cabinets of a basic pair of speakers should noticably affect the performance (unless you lather on a massive amount of paint, enough to change the weight/size/shape of them, get paint somewhere you shouldn't); my speakers even have a couple of small chips out of the vinyl finish that don't seem to effect the sound. That said, I'd check with the shop you buy them from, and maybe try to buy a secondhand/ex demo pair (if you're painting them anyway, a few marks to the finish won't be a problem).

I'm sure you can find a pair of separate speakers you like the look of - have a look in a hi-fi shop, they come in lots of different sizes and shapes. As suggested, looks-wise mission speakers seem pretty good (to me), as do some of the mordaunt short and celestion ones. IMO, it's anyway better to have a pair of indifferent-looking speakers that sound better than you'd expect when you turn them on than to have a 'mean'-looking pair of speakers that sound disappointing when you actually play music...

Jon