Speaker cables...recommendations please

toddx

Standard Member
Hi,

Apologies for the noob question, but I have no idea what type of cabling to buy for my AV setup.

I've recently purchased an Arcam AVR250 amp, along with a Kef KHT5005 speaker package (4 satellites, a centre and a subwoofer). I'm now trying to tackle the thorny issue of cabling and interconnects. Can anyone suggest a good spec for this setup, please? The rears will be a maximum of four metres from the amp (if that makes any difference). Likewise, the fronts will be less than a metre away from the amp.

Any help you could give would be most welcome :thumbsup:
Thanks,

Andy

J

jayparmar

Chord Rumour 2 for the Fronts (£10/m), and QED Silver Micro for the Rears.

Make sure you use a decent digital cable.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello toddx

VanDamme Blue Series 2x2.5mm is ideal and will cost you approx £2.17/m (ex delivery).

I never understand why folk put thinner cable on the surrounds - the longer the cable run the more signal drop you get with a skinny cable; though your cable runs are hardly 'taxing'.

Best regards

Joe

CJROSS

Joe Fernand said:
Hello toddx

VanDamme Blue Series 2x2.5mm is ideal and will cost you approx £2.17/m (ex delivery).

I never understand why folk put thinner cable on the surrounds - the longer the cable run the more signal drop you get with a skinny cable; though your cable runs are hardly 'taxing'.

Best regards

Joe
Van Damme Blue 2x2.5mm2 even die-hard cable sceptics use it. :smashin:

(in fact if you ask me, spending any more than £2-3 on speaker cable is mad)

As Joes states, its all about CSA (Cross Sectional Area) of copper. Very simple, very cheap to achieve.

deaf cat

Could give these a go just for starters:

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-AZUR-REF0.75M

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=GALE-XL315CABL

But then again alot of people go for the Blue stuff.....

Or, if you like stuff to to sound up front, dancingley fast and 'in your face' I found Nordosts Blue heaven absolutly FAB on bass and voices:D may be an idea to loan that first though.

However I have a neighbour that has Arcam and Kef and he loves Chord cables, myself I prefered the Blue Heaven.....

Maybe an idea to pop into your stereo shop and ask to borrow a couple of different cables just to see of you hear and/or like any changes the different cables bring about.

toddx

Standard Member
Cheers for your recommendations - certainly food for thought.

I'm a little wary of skimping on cabling as I've spent so much on the amp and speakers, but then again, some of these options sound very affordable.
Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello toddx

Price really is no indicator of performance - the VanDamme 2x2.5mm cable is used in all manner of systems from the inexpensive to the very expensive.

If you felt the urge to spend more I'd recommend you revisit the cables once you have the system in and working and borrow a set of cables to try out.

Best regards

Joe