• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker Cables for Monitor Audio Silver 100's

LeeB33

Standard Member
Hi All

I have just purchased a refurbished pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100's from Richer Sounds and they look great, as good as mint.

They came with the grilles and Monitor manuals and some speaker gel pads for the stand. However, they have not come with any cables at all. I'm not looking to invest much in the cables, nor need anything particularly top end but would like some recommendation of what the best cables would be to look at getting for these speakers, in particular, and how much I should be looking to spend? Again, I must stress that I am not too bothered about top of the range cables just something, essentially, that will make them work as I thought they would have come with the cables.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Usually recommended on here is the Van Damme Blue 2.5sq.mm oxygen free copper (ofc) cables but basically any ofc cable of 2.5sq.mm cross section will do up to approx 10m runs.

camcroft

Distinguished Member
What amplifier are you using modern or old could make a difference regarding connection method.

LeeB33

Standard Member
camcroft - I’ve not yet bought the amplifier but I’m intending on getting a Cambridge Audio CXA80.

camcroft

Distinguished Member
I have the CXA 60 and I use Van Damme 6mm with Banana plugs fitted and I am happy with the sound but thats just me.

meduk1

Usually recommended on here is the Van Damme Blue 2.5sq.mm oxygen free copper (ofc) cables but basically any ofc cable of 2.5sq.mm cross section will do up to approx 10m runs.
Second this. Good cable at a decent price.

LeeB33

Standard Member
Ok great, where's the best place to find this and do they come with banana plugs connected? I'm a bit of a novice to all of this so would want cables that I can buy with the correct connections on so I can just take them out of the packaging and plug them straight in.

Second this. Good cable at a decent price.

LeeB33

Standard Member
Ugg10 - would this be what I need?

Amazon product

I am only after a short length of cable (these are 1.5m and should be fine for what I need) and banana plug connections.

gibbsy

Who ever you're going to buy the CA off ask them to throw in some good copper cable. Never hurts to ask. If not it's another vote for the VD Blue.

LeeB33

Standard Member
Ok cheers Gibbsy, will do!

Is the VD Blue cabling (on the Amazon link above in my last post) what I would need?

I assume the termination on both ends of the cable (to speakers and into the amp) would be banana plugs yes?

I think you can but it directly from A1 Hi-Fi in various sizes. Just want to be sure to get the right stuff.

Who ever you're going to buy the CA off ask them to throw in some good copper cable. Never hurts to ask. If not it's another vote for the VD Blue.

camcroft

Distinguished Member
This guy on ebay is very good for Van Damme cabling of any sort contact him and explain exactly what you want and ask him for a quote.
East Pro Audio ebay stores

LeeB33

Standard Member
Silly question possibly but do both ends of the cable need to be terminated with banana plugs? (Amp end & Speaker end). I'm assuming so, OR if they are then that can only be better? Just trying to get a definitive answer as A1 Sound sell it as per the below link. Also, is this the correct VD 2.5mm cable that most of you have recommended? I want to be sure I am looking at the right product and not something that isn't quite right for what I need.

Why is the VD cable blue also, not black? I know that may be irrelevant but would prefer black cabling with an all black setup

dannnielll

Silly question possibly but do both ends of the cable need to be terminated with banana plugs? (Amp end & Speaker end). I'm assuming so, OR if they are then that can only be better? Just trying to get a definitive answer as A1 Sound sell it as per the below link. Also, is this the correct VD 2.5mm cable that most of you have recommended? I want to be sure I am looking at the right product and not something that isn't quite right for what I need.

Why is the VD cable blue also, not black? I know that may be irrelevant but would prefer black cabling with an all black setup
Neither end needs banana plugs. Nude cable can be clamped by the speaker and amplifier screw Terminal. Many of these Terminals have a radial hole and the wire can be inserted and then screwed tight. With the right amount of pressure , cold pressure welds are formed , which are better than banana plugs. Of course the problem is to ensure no wire whiskers cause shorts.
Yes 2.5sq mm cable is the optimum. .. thicker copper in a cable is always better , but price increases rapidly. Thinner cable at 1.5sq,mm is not much cheaper as the plastic insulation material cost is the same...and they contain less copper

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Here is a recent discussion of Banana Plugs.

Banana Plugs make things easy and reliable.

The A1 Sound link shows that Van Damme Blue 2.5mm² with Banana Plugs on both ends are about £16.50 each or £33/pair for 2 Meter length cables. That's a pretty fair price.

Using the Fisual S-Flex 2.5mm² from Audio Visual On-line would cost about $17 each or £34/pair with Fisual SureFix Banana Plugs on each end and 2 Meters in length.

Both of these are high grade Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) Cable . That is about all you need. For a very very vast majority of applications 2.5mm² or 14ga (2.08mm²) are all you need, both very common speaker cable sizes.

If you want to simplify, then this speaker wire is fine -

Amazon product

Though there are other similar wires, this is just one that I knew of.

For Banana Plugs, the best and easiest to install are Sewell Deadbolt Banana Plugs. These require no tools and hold very tight. You can see other banana plugs in the link I provided at the top of this post.

Amazon product

Here is a video showing how easy it is to install these Banana Plugs -

Here is a place that sells Van Damme Blue in bulk or in cut lengths. For 4m+13cm of 2.5mm² cable would be about £11.20.

Just a few suggestions.

Steve/bluewizard

LeeB33

Standard Member
That’s great Steve, thanks for the advice. Think I’m going to go with the Van Damme Blue. Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom