1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cables and wall sockets - newbie

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by empress, May 7, 2005.

1. empress

empress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im looking at probably buying the the Canton CD1 powerbuy speakers but not had much idea about what amp to get yet. I will be putting speaker cable in the wall and want it to terminate at wall plates where i will be placing the speakers. I will only be running the cabling to the rear two speaker as the front speakers can come directly out of the amp. But I also want a wall plate next to the amp as I dont want the cabling to go straight into the wall. I know it will be better if there is no breaks in the cables but I dont want the cables going in and coming out of the walls directly. It all needs to look nice and tidy. My budget for the amp is around £200-£250 so its not going to be a really good professional setup, just want it to be reasonable.

What I need to know (as I have to supply the cables and plates to the builder of my house) is what cabling should I use and what wall plate should I get that will allow these speaker to plug into the wall plates. I've heard about bi-wire speakers and bananna plugs but I really don't know much about all this stuff so really need some advice.

All help would be appreciated and any places to get he stuff would be good, thanks. :lease:

2. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Maplins on line for the plates and QED some some reasonable cable ie their Bronze can be got at about 2-50 on line Also IXOS do some good cheap cable. Put in the best you can afford as it will always be there. Also check out Cambridge audio amps great sound for the price

3. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    cat5 or twin and earth? do a search, plenty of useful info and might sve you a few quid

4. matblack

matblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I found that making my own faceplates wth components from CPC will be about 1/20 of the price of buying QED ones and they are still gold plated and have solder connections on the back

MB