• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker Cable

Jay_uk_

Standard Member

Arnold82

Standard Member
No point in biwiring!!

I bought a pair of Quad 11L2's the weekend and am new to the whole home cinema thing... currently that is all I have hooked up to my Sony 820 - I noticed I could biwire these but didnt have enough speaker cable - is it worth doing?

What benefit does biwiring have? I just wired it up to the LF connections and left the HF connections?

cunny678

Distinguished Member
I bought a pair of Quad 11L2's the weekend and am new to the whole home cinema thing... currently that is all I have hooked up to my Sony 820 - I noticed I could biwire these but didnt have enough speaker cable - is it worth doing?

What benefit does biwiring have? I just wired it up to the LF connections and left the HF connections?

IMHO I dont think you will find any benefit bi-wiring and I would save your money!

Arnold82

Standard Member
IMHO I dont think you will find any benefit bi-wiring and I would save your money!

Thanks - saves me money and hassle :)

But what does bi-wiring do - just split the low and high frequencies better? (I assume LF/HF for Low/High Frequency?)

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Check out this thread for some links to sources of good speakers wire -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/915644-speaker-cable-tannoy-f1s-ca-a5.html

It is possible to just go down to the local AV shop, hardware store, or home improvement store and by decent speaker wire, just make sure it really is speaker wire and not lamp cord.

The general rule is you should pay under £2 per meter for wire. Anything over that is expensive luxury that delivers very little substance.

For low and mid level consumers, plain old speaker wire in 1.50mm² (16 AWG), or for higher powered amps or very long runs, 2.50mm², is fine.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom