speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by tim68, May 8, 2007.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi All. just a quick question. It may sound stupid but it is bugging me. When running cable to the speakers should they all be the same length for each pair as in same length to the mains and so on? even if one speaker is much closer to the amp tha the other one. Thanks for reading.

regards

Tim

2. Henryslater

Henryslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In a nutshell - no.

If one length was six feet and the other six hundred you MAY get a problem - but for all intents and purposes (within reason) no.

3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi Henryslater. Thanks for the reply. So if I had a metre or two difference it should not make any impact on the sound quality?

Tim

4. korg

korg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EM waves travel down a speaker cable at the speed of light, which is 300,000,000 metres per second. The sound waves from your speakers travel at 330 metres per second. If you had one cable 50cm long, and the other stretching all the way round London and back, the difference in terms of timing wouldn't be noticeable. Attenuation of the signal may be more of an issue, but this wouldn't be noticeable at all on the kind of scales your talking about. Save your money and buy the minimum amount of speaker cable you have to! :thumbsup:

5. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi Korg. Thanks for the reply mate. Just rearranged my hifi rack and now in the corner is a pile of cable just wanted to know if it was safe to cut it back.