Speaker Cable

jpfrost

Standard Member
I've just purchased the SOny STRK880 from Richer Sounds http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRK880 along wiht the Sony 6.1 Speakers http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-SSP88
and also bought some of their Gale XL105 speaker cable. I've heard of people spending £15/metre (or more) but just wondered if this is total overkill for this system. Would I really notice the difference if I spent a little more on the cables?

Also, is the subwoofer cable a standard phono to phono cable?

Thanks.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
usually not much need to spend a fortune on speaker cable.....get something thats well known perhaps, but dont go overboard...

for rear speakers definitely only worth paying around £1.50/m at most....for the front three, well, it can be worth trying a couple different cables just to make sure you find the one that suits your ears....some people say there is no difference between any cables, other people say there is.....just dont spend a fortune...heh....certainly not worth spending more than £4/m for single wire or £7/m biwire.......however i would recommend getting banana plugs at least for the amplifier end, getting all those speaker wires in without nana plugs can be a nightmare...lol

as for the sub cable, well, a normal single rca to single rca phono will do, but if you run near any mains cables etc its possible you will pick up hum...personally i'd say buy a proper shielded 75ohm cable, like you would use for a digital coaxial connection etc......i use a QED one, costs around £30 for a couple meter length i think (mine was worth around £40 or so but was a 5m length), works just fine for me :)

bob1

I would say save your money although i had some gale speaker cable that turned green over time.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom