Speaker cable

darrenmcgough

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good evening, im looking to get new speaker cable after moving house and needing to lay new cable under carpet etc in a few weeks.

I have a Yamaha rx-677 or very similar model and monitor audio i believe 100’s as front surround speakers. I have the slightly smaller rear version and the centre speaker all monitor audio.

The room will be around 3.5-4 metres from system to rear so distance wise that will be the most really.

Im looking for advice on which cable to get if possible and where to get it from. Any help would be great and appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Good evening, im looking to get new speaker cable after moving house and needing to lay new cable under carpet etc in a few weeks.

I have a Yamaha rx-677 or very similar model and monitor audio i believe 100’s as front surround speakers. I have the slightly smaller rear version and the centre speaker all monitor audio.

The room will be around 3.5-4 metres from system to rear so distance wise that will be the most really.

Im looking for advice on which cable to get if possible and where to get it from. Any help would be great and appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you on the speaker cable front, but you have posted in the wrong area of the forum. Try here instead

You might also want to close this thread but I can't remember how. :laugh:

Hi Darren

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you on the speaker cable front, but you have posted in the wrong area of the forum. Try here instead

You might also want to close this thread but I can't remember how. :laugh:
Or just ask a friendly mod to move the thread.
Which I will do. ;)

Pretty much any 2x2.5mm copper cable will do the trick.

We tend to use/supply the VanDamme Blue series or Samson Black series cable as they are easy to install when threading through walks, around corners etc.

Joe

Thats perfect thank you. Ill get some of the blue one i think. I think ill probably need 25 metres that should be enough. Thanks Darren

Drop me a note if you get stuck sourcing the shorter length, we can usually supply 'off the drum'.

Joe

Great thank you, probably a silly question but when laying it under a carpet i take it you can go straight to the speaker or is it best to go all around the sides etc

Yeah if you could do around 25/30m i imagine it would be enough. The room is almost 4x4 so would need speakers in all corners and then the centre speaker

Thank you

Cable run - if there is any footfall or you don’t want a ridge in the carpet you are best to run the cable around the perimeter, we normally run a double run of gripper rod with the cable laid in-between the two rods.

Speaker positions - have a look at the Dolby layout guidelines, it is very rare that you would want loudspeakers in your corners.

Joe

Pretty much any 2x2.5mm copper cable will do the trick.

Really quickly and sorry to hijack, what's the major disadvantage of using 2x1.25? Is it massively noticeable?

As you reduce the cable cross section you increase the cable resistance which can have an audible affect in some amp/speaker combinations.

Joe

As you reduce the cable cross section you increase the cable resistance which can have an audible affect in some amp/speaker combinations.

Joe

I have some qed micro going to my rears, only the Bronze 50, it's all I could get to go under the carpet really. Approx 8/9 metre runs.

Cable run - if there is any footfall or you don’t want a ridge in the carpet you are best to run the cable around the perimeter, we normally run a double run of gripper rod with the cable laid in-between the two rods.

Speaker positions - have a look at the Dolby layout guidelines, it is very rare that you would want loudspeakers in your corners.

Joe
Thank you, yeah i see what your saying with that. I can see if they can do the same when they lay the carpet with the duel grippers.

With the set up i understand, i think i was thinking corners with the shape of the room but on balance i can just have them closer to the far sofa. This will be more like the picture then i think.

What kind of price can you do me 25 metres for?

Thanks Darren

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom