1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jhaworth, Aug 29, 2005.

1. jhaworth

jhaworth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

The garage conversion is underway, plasterboard to go on in the next couple of days. The builder hasnt left enough room behind the studding to run any conduit (I did ask, but I think he got carried away!!) So I need to run speaker cable, can anyone advise?? I did read some threads about using 3 lengths of cat5 network cable, per speaker, platted. I havnt enough cable to triple each length up, has anyone used just a single run of cat5 cable per speaker, any thoughts welcome.
    Many thanks

John

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are you saying the space is only wide enough for network cable?

After reading threads on here, I used mains cable (twin and earth) for all the hidden speaker cabling

3. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've used a single cat 5 for each speaker in my setup because it was all I had to hand and to be honest it sounds fine.

Would love to get into the plating thing but for the amount of power my speakers use and the quality aspect, I'll stick with CAT5 and spend the rest of the cash on decent video interconnects.