1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by strontiumdog, Apr 2, 2005.

1. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive bought some mordaunt genies and im not sure which type of speaker cable i should use,is it best to buy a 15m reel and cut it or to buy seperate cables for each respective speaker.do i need to buy cable for a certain ampage.also do i need to buy a new cable for my subwoofer or can i use my profligold coaxial cable.im completely new to this so any help would be greatly appreiciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Ideally the front three cables should all be the same length as should the rear pair but whilst that makes fine theory I very much doubt if any differences in length would be audible so you should buy the cables in whatever form is the most most effective.

Your existing subwoofer cable will do just fine.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    strontiumdog

If your using a Pair of speakers for Stereo try and ensure the cables are exactly the same length.

If your using 5 x Genies + a sub then as Ian says the theory goes you try and keep all the speaker cables to the Genies the same length; which is usually impractical and over costly. (I'd go with Ian's advice 3 x equal length to the front + 2 x equal length to the surrounds).

As long as your AV Receiver has the ability to set individual delays to different channels you have the ability to dial out any timing issues your unmatched cables could introduce (very unlikely).

Best to measure up what you require and purchase either a single piece of cable + suitable connectors and make up on-site - or have the various lengths you require made up with connectors on.

Best regards

Joe

4. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,the front 3 speakers will only need a meter, the rear 2 will need to be 4 meters.or i should have 5 cables at 4 meters?the amp will be a yamaha rx v650 dont know if it has the ability to dial timing issues.will i notice the delay,surely it would only be a nanosecond.also whats best to use banana plugs or spades,can i fit either one of these easily myself or do i have to get done professionaly.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I wouldn't worry too much about speaker cable lengths, you'd need a difference of tens of metres before it would be worth adding any delay electronically (yes, the Yamaha will be able to). Just moving your head a few centimetres will have a far more audible effect but who takes that into account?

Your plan of 3 x 1m at the front and 2 x 4m at the back sounds just fine to me. Bananas are probably better than spades as the touch-proof terminals on the back of amplifiers often don't readily accept bananas, adding them yourself at home is certainly the cheapest option. Screw type banana plugs are available but personally I'd recommend using solder-type bananas which are the easiest thing you can do with a soldering iron! :)

6. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,could you recommend a good speaker cable brand thats not exspensive.

7. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sommer Meridian is perfectly adequate.

Available iin 1.5@£0.79/m, 2.5 (0.87/m), 4.0 (1.29/m) and 6.0 mm^2 (1.59/m) all + VAT from www.Studiospares.com

They also have black Europa 3.00mm^2 @0.62/m amongst others

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    strontiumdog

According to your AV Receivers user manual its not Banana Plug friendly - the EU outlawed Banana plugs a couple of years back; though its worth having a look to see if there are removable 'bungs' in the back of the main speaker connectors on the amp (there often are).

We tend to use VanDamme Blue Series 2 x 0.75mm or 2 x 1.5mm for affordable high quality speaker cables - supplied for DIY or pre terminated with screw/solder 4mm Banana plugs or Spades.

Best regards

Joe

PS With small satellite speakers 2 x 1.5mm speaker cable looks 'huge' to some folk :)

9. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have the Van Damme cable and it is quality and very cheap from Maplins.

Also consider braided CAT5 for your front three and single cat5 for your rears.

10. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks,cant find the van damme cable at the maplins site,found some on ebay for 30 quid,2x3m with banana plugs either end.is that a good price?also u were saying that i shouldnt use banana plugs with the yamaha.are spades the next best alternative?

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello strontiumdog

VanDamme produce a range of loudspeaker cables - some are very heavy and not ideal for use with satellite speakers.

You need to confirm your AV Receiver can take 4mm Banana plugs before you specific cables with them attached; as before I'm sure if you have a quick look you'll find there are removable plastic bungs in the end of your AV Receivers Loudspeaker terminals; once removed you can use 4mm plugs.

VanDamme Blue Series 2 x 0.75mm is around a £1 a meter un-terminated - drop me a PM if you want terminated pricing.

Best regards

Joe

12. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks joe,i will buy the van damme cable from your site,once i receive amp and find out if it is compatible.

13. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not on firm ground here, but someone once told me that the length of a piece of speaker cable will not change the time it takes for a signal to pass along it (not in a domestic setting anyway). As an analogy, think of it as a solid rod, if you push it at one end, it doenst matter how long the rod is, the other end will move at exactly the same time. An electrical signal works in the same way.

It would change the impedance load on one amp channel (almost the equivalent of using different speaker cable on each channel), so there could be a subtle difference in the way it sounds.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The speed of an electrical current in a cable is almost the speed of light = 299 792 458 m / s. So a metre here or there will make virtually no difference at all.

It would change it by such a tiny amount that your ears would not detect it. You would have to have a huge imbalance between cable lengths before your ears could detect it.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sorry Nick, that's not quite the case. The speed of light is ~3*10^8 m/s whilst the speed of an electron in a copper wire is ~3*10^7 m/s which is ten times less than the speed of light.

I still whole-heartedly agree that the difference will be negligible. :)

16. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nit pick time. There is actually no net movement of electrons where AC signals are involved. The propagation speed of signals in cables is usually taken to be about 2/3 of the speed of light, depending on the cable construction.

And of course any difference will be completely negligible, as you said.

17. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a nanosecond surely,and you wouldnt have your rear satellites 400m from your tv unless youve got one hell of a big room

18. strontiumdog

strontiumdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me in laymans terms how to set up speakers with my sound meter,and what the hell is a notch filter,noob in distress

19. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    SPL Meter for setting channel levels
    Set your amplifier volume to 100dB (sometimes shown as 00dB) and run the speaker test tones. You need to have the SPL meter set to slow, C-Weighting and positioned vertically where your head would normally be whilst listening. You then need to trim each of your speakers to 75dB.

The notch filter a small filter which enables you to help counteract the influence of your room on your speakers. A thorough explanation is given by Nimby in the sticky at the top of the Subwoofers forum, just bear in mind that he's discussing the BFD which is in essence a number of notch filters so you would only try to deal with the most prolific peak on the frequency response plot. :)