1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rulocal, Dec 7, 2003.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In people's experience is it necessary to have the same length runs of cable for each of the channels in a 5.1 set up. I remember being advised that this was a good idea when I was buying my two channel system but with five channels it could prove costly and there will be alot of uneccessary cable being wasted.

Secondly. Is it advisable to use identical cable for all the channels. I was thinking maybe some QED silver anniverdary for the front 3 channels but skimping with some cheapr QED stuff (mabe the flat one) for the rears.

Thanks for any help.

2. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Bump

3. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just done a search and found some info on the subject.

Thanks

4. malcers

malcers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rulocal,
    I'm interested in the answer to your question.
    I've got cable everywhere as a result of going for equal lengths for all channels.

Any chance you can point me to it ?

regards
    malcers

5. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I though (so I bought!) equal runs for my front and centre speakers, but much longer runs for the rear and centre rear speaks was OK? Speaker delay can be sorted at the amp so there's not that to worry about, but in any case my rears required 9 metres each of cabling: Had I bought 9m each for the fronts and centre as well a) that 27m of losely tossed cable'd def. obscure my view of the telly and b) my other half, who didn't speak to me for two days after spending 240quid on the runs I did buy, would've moved out in protest!

dan.

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as it's good and thick, and not wrapped round a large electric machine like a lift motor, there just ain't no perceptible difference. I believe the "equal lengths" idea just arose because of DC resistance which would make the speaker with the shorter wire slightly louder if using skinny cables.

The delay in a 10 metre cable is equivalent to moving your head a hundredth of a millimetre away from the speaker. (You do use a head-clamp and stop your heart beating when listening don't you?:) However the resistance in 10m of phone wire is of the order of an ohm, versus a tenth of an ohm or less for reasonable speaker cable.

So, I don't think unequal lengths (within reason) matter, and if they do, just keep each left-right pair with matched lengths.

7. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm a firm believer in mix and matching different spaker cables. In a 5.1 system the speakers are all being asked to do very different jobs and it is a matter of personal taste as to how you want the fronts to perform in comparison to the rears etc. I have just found (after 3 years) a set-up I like and it involves three sorts of cable.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It is actually possible to mess up speakers with unequal cables, but only if you're talking supremely cheap, very thin cable and a huge imbalance in the lengths. Back in my uni days I (briefly!) hooked up a pair of speakers with some cable that (nowadays) would sell for about 19p a metre. One speaker had about 3 metres of cable, and the other about 13. As a consequence I had to turn the balance control on the amp from 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock to get the speakers the same loudness. (And it sounded terrible. :) )

But if you're using even half-way sensible cable in half-way sensible lengths, you won't hear any difference. It's only an issue when the resistance of the cable starts to become a significant fraction of the impedance of the speaker. I doubt, for example, that you'd be able to hear the difference between 1m and 5m of Maplin's 79p-per-metre cable (except perhaps with some M&K tripoles set to the configuration that gives them a nominal impedance of 2.4 ohms).

9. malcers

malcers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I'll be doing some tidying up then.

malcers