1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cable under carpet

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JamesPA, Jan 15, 2003.

1. JamesPA

JamesPA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to route some flat cable to my surround speakers. Under the carpet is by far the most convenient in my case (my flat has a solid concrete floor).

The two approaches I am considering are (1) Pull back a section of carpet along one wall, lay the cable and then put the carpet back down. Or (2) Use fish tape to feed the cable underneath without lifting the carpet.

The cable will need to travel 4 metres under the carpet.

I'd rather just pull the carpet back. I'd need to pull it back a metre along the 4 metre length of wall. If I do this, will I need a carpet fitter to put it back down properly? Alternatively does the fish tape approach work?

I expect loads of people have had the same task in the past. Anyone who has, could you please pass on your experiences/tips/success stories (or otherwise!)

Very many thanks.

James

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you carpet is held down with grippers around the edge of the room you should be able to lift the carpet at the wall and run your cables next to the gripper and then just lay the carpet back down and run a flat edge along the skirting board to neaten up the edge. Should be able to do this without calling in an expert.
    If the carpet is stuck down i.e. foam backed carpet you will probably need some spray adhesive to stick it back down.

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Hello again james i use qed micro for my rears its got a small outside diameter for the size of the cable i run it under the carpet just like mitch.

did you get the m7ds up alright got my new m7c2 yesterday what a difference from the £30 wafdale i had been using

4. JamesPA

JamesPA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mitch, thanks for the advice. Yes I've got grippers under my carpet so I'm going to try pulling it back like you say - I was going to route it directly across the room, but next to the gripper may be better and easier (I think I've got enough cable length!)

Hi Bob, I'm going pretty slowly. I haven't got any of my speaker system running yet. Hopefully I'll get the m7ds up in the next few days. I'm glad you're pleased with the m7c2. I've bought a m7c1 (for my sins) - I know it gets bad press, but I'll try it for a while...

5. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Round the edges is definitely the best option even though the cable runs for your rear speakers will then be different lengths. I initially ran the QED micro direct from amp to speaker corners (under the underlay on a concrete floor) when I put the carpet back down I could see where the cables ran although my fiancee wasn't sure if she could. I decided that instead of having to do the job again that I would re-run the cables round the room. Adjusted delays via amp so no problem with different lengths of cable!

Only my experience but if you run direct then I would suggest at some point in some lighting you would be able to detect the cable runs - depends if that will bother you or not.....

Cheers
    Les

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i run my chord rumour along the gripper and its fine. although, for the full 7.1 i bought a 50m drum of it - not a cheap option, especially that i now have a 5.1 setup instead:eek:

7. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To put the carpet back properly if its still lifting, hire a 'knocker' for about 12 quid for a day.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Has this thread been hijacked :D

9. lightningvictim

lightningvictim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Those knockers are dangerous things - those spikey bits could easy cause some damage ( to the cables of course! )

10. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    just done a search on hiring some "knockers", not sure how it would help with cabling but would certanily be good to do:devil:

11. mattheu

mattheu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'Dangerous things to cables'- yes, if used by an idiot, you'd hope some one whom is fussy enough to want cables out of sight, would be careful as well.

12. JamesPA

JamesPA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the tips. It seems that running the cable next to the gripper around the edges of the room is the best way for me - less carpet to pull up and no possible bulges! Luckily I've got enough length for this already (using Ixos 607 flat cable).

Just out of interest, I wonder if anyone has tried the fishtape idea for feeding cable without pulling up the carpet? I'm skeptical... ;-)

13. mortimar

mortimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For my rear speakers I have double gripper rods( about 25mm apart) running from front to rear with the speaker cable in between .

This way you can't see the cable like with every other method mentioned?

14. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may be a cheaper option for you to run the cable under the carpet across the room. You mentioned that there may be a bulge due to there being underlay. Do what I did, cut a channel in the underlay to fit the speaker cable in snugly. Viola, when the carpet is relaid no bulge can be seen. Knockers indeed!

I'm a dapper dan man.