Speaker cable under carpet - best way to do it

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by KC104, Dec 4, 2018.

1. KC104

KC104
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am running cables under carpet for the rear right and left. Using QED micro cable, so is small. This had actually already been laid (22-23 meters or so) 10m to left and 13m to right. After laying (and having new carpet, I purchased speakers and .... The right rear speaker gets no sound. Tested with battery and other speakers do make that sparking sound, but not the right rear.

I fear during the carpet laying process, the carpet fitters have damaged this cable. So I will by another run of 13 meters.

Currently, I had them place cables between gripper and skirting (within space under gripper)

I don't know what to do now. Should I buy QED silver anniversary (used for fronts) which is thicker - might have more protection. Or maybe DEQ 79 strand (which i think is made for in wall installations).
    Left rear seems ok, so was thinking of leaving that one with the micro, but perhaps I sould not be mixing 2 different speaker cables to rt and left rears. As for left, it is working, but I did pick up at one time, a hiss - might that be an indication that this cable, whilst working, is also damaged.

Or go with the Micro again, but lay it the other side of the gripper - try to slip it in between the gripper and the undernay, but not underneath skirting. Dont want to buy covering for cables or mess with extended skirting.

Would really appeciate some advice on this one guys. Thanks

(Using Monitor audio Silver speaker set)

2. KC104

KC104
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to add - there is a doorway to a garden, that is also part of that run. When i was referring to left rear being ok - well, it is that one with the potential hiss, but I will examine that again.

3. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,248
    I had a small channel cut in the underlay on the inside of the gripper to lay the cables in, then covered with duct tape (might be some other tape that carpet fitters use). Worked really well.

4. KC104

KC104
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    are you saying you covered the entire speaker length (under carpet) with tape. So for me to tape over 13m of tape?

5. adam-burnley

adam-burnley
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,248
    Yes, all the way from the AVR to the front right, both surrounds and the sub.

The tape just covers the gap in the underlay, so doesn't leave a 'bump' in the carpet

6. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    In gap between gripper and skirting ... the place carpet fitters use (blunt) bolster chisels to ram the stretched carpet into... ripe for damage just there, I'd have thought.

You need to test properly for continuity of that cable (using a cheap multimeter on ohms range) to see if one, or both have breaks. Although very unusual it is possible to have faulty cables from new. Also check that the <non-functioning speaker> works OK when connected with another bit of cable to the amp (in case the speaker is faulty, not the cable.

I used D-Line decorative plastic micro trunking above my 6 inch torus skirting to run cables in (and up/over a door frame edge). It can be painted. My room has engineered wood floors with skirting hiding the edges, though.

As an engineer I'd say the type/rating of cable on surrounds will make virtually no difference. Different lengths might for precise stereo imaging, but with AVRs and room equalisation even that is compensated for.

7. Dolus

Dolus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    May be you are not allowed to do it, but installing plastic trunking to carry the cable is not much more work than laying under a carpet, plus it makes maintenance easier, or if you want to change cable in the future.

Whoops - What Rodders53 said