Speaker cable suggestions

Mij29

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm looking at upgrading my speaker cable.
I currently have qed silver anniversary bi-wire.
I'd like to keep my system bi-wired.

Have any of you guys got any suggestions to what to look for?
My system sounds great when listening to edm genre, but if I listen to indie/rock, it can be a little harsh at the top when listening at a high level.

I've been looking at qed xt40i and qed genesis silver spiral. I can't find any reviews on either cable.

All suggestions appreciated.

My system if it helps.

Cambridge CXA80
CXN
CXC
Monitor Audio Silver 500s
Monitor Audio Bronze W10 sub.

Cheers.

Hi, may I ask why you think the speaker cables are the culprit? Can I suggest you run the speakers non bi wire before you dismiss the silver anniversary cable.

Hi, may I ask why you think the speaker cables are the culprit? Can I suggest you run the speakers non bi wire before you dismiss the silver anniversary cable.

I'm not sure that they are, but I recently upgraded my speakers from MA RS6 to the silver 500s, so I was thinking that my cable may now be inferior for those speakers as they are a big upgrade.

Do you think the sound is better being single wired?
I'd still need to buy single wires just to try it.

I just don't think you are gaining anything with a bi wire setup.best thing is to try it single wire and see what you think. You are running a sub too..... can I suggest disconnecting that and seeing if things balance out a little. Is the sound harsh from both your sources?

I don't use the sub when listening to indie rock, only electronic dance, although since the change in speakers, I use it less.

What do you mean, both sources?

Hi, streamer and CD?

Yes, I gathered that as the cxc is a transport only, I'm asking if you experience harsh highs with both streamed music and cds

I'm just trying to see if there is a cost neutral way to settle the sound of your system. I don't honestly think changing speaker cable is the answer. How long have you had the 500s? Perhaps they haven't settled in yet. Is your listening room well furnished or quite empty? May be worth shifting your speakers and seeing if the sound mellows a bit.

I have some linn cable that I could try as single wired, but it's even lower grade than the qed

Why can't you just use the cable you have already, just single wire with the links put back on the terminals of the speakers? Sorry if I am missing something.

I will try it with that.
But it was probably 16 months ago I used that cable.
I've upgraded my whole system over the last 12 months, as soon as I bought the cxa80 and the rs6, I bi-wired.. I thought it was better.
The 500s only have around 60hrs burn in time... Maybe they will get better.
Just seems on edm its really bassie, and on rock it's quite harsh.
Maybe it's the room.

I'm just trying to see if there is a cost neutral way to settle the sound of your system. I don't honestly think changing speaker cable is the answer. How long have you had the 500s? Perhaps they haven't settled in yet. Is your listening room well furnished or quite empty? May be worth shifting your speakers and seeing if the sound mellows a bit.

Speakers have 60ish hrs on them.
I have two leather sofas with four big pillows.
It's laminate flooring, but I've recently put a big shaggy rug in there... Its made the accoustics better... Oh and a soft puffer.

Out of interest, going single wire, does it matter which binding you use, top or bottom?
Just put the links back & leave wiring as it is.

Can't remember if that cable is silver plated or not? If it is & you want to try something different, some cheap Van Damme 2.5mm will do the job.

No, as long as the metal links are in place, as they were when new.
I'm not promising an improvement but can't see bi wire as being better.
How big is your room? These MAs like big rooms.

It could be the recordings, rick and indie recording over the past 15-20 years are notoriously compressed so will sound and engineered for radio which may give you the sound you are experiencing.

If you want to test a good rock / metal couple of tracks to test the bass/treble, can I suggest -

Haken - Cockroach king - lots of dynamics plus vocal separation on the a capella part
Gojira - in the forest - bear with it, when it drops it drops hard, gojira always has great drum recordings, listen to that double kick bass, if you then stick past 5 mins you can really hear drum separation
Nova collective - dancing machines - a Haken spin off, similar in production but a bit more busy
Jethro Tull - songs from the wood Stephen Wilson remix
Tool - anything from the new album, well produced.

Compare these with older recordings of Led Zep, Rush etc. And you will hear a difference.

You can also check out tracks that sound dead with their DR on here - typically if it is over 10 then it sounds good on my system, 7-10 is acceptable, 5-7 listenable but below that not so.

Just another rabbit hole to explore.

Hi.
I'm looking at upgrading my speaker cable.
I currently have qed silver anniversary bi-wire.
I'd like to keep my system bi-wired.

Have any of you guys got any suggestions to what to look for?
My system sounds great when listening to edm genre, but if I listen to indie/rock, it can be a little harsh at the top when listening at a high level.

I've been looking at qed xt40i and qed genesis silver spiral. I can't find any reviews on either cable.

All suggestions appreciated.

My system if it helps.

Cambridge CXA80
CXN
CXC
Monitor Audio Silver 500s
Monitor Audio Bronze W10 sub.

Cheers.

AAAARRRRGGHHHHHHHH...

Might I also suggest you send both the transport and streamer to the amp digitally and therefore use the dac in the amp.

Two sets of analogue cables aren’t likely to cause any issues, but as there’s no need to use them it’s better not too.

You change speakers and blame the cable when the sound changes...?

The mind boogles.

Wire is wire. The biggest influence may be the speakers position in the room. You have already mentioned how it improved by adding a rug. Leather is more reflective than fabric. Just moving the speakers a couple of inches here to there can make a difference.

Then you have your source music, @Paul7777x has already mentioned as to how compressed modern rock is and you blame the speaker, wire or the room for that. If you have a pair of headphones then stick them on and play a good quality CD against the more modern stuff, that will show the difference in the recordings more than speakers but will certainly point to the recording as a big part of your problems.

Alternatively, and a much better idea I suggest to place one of these between the CXN and the amp,

(You’ll need to buy a U-MIK-1)

Perfect sound forevermore

If you can get it to work! :rotfl: I'm on the hunt for a Lyngdorf RP1...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom