Speaker Cable Recommendation

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by chilluk, Feb 4, 2009.

1. chilluk

chilluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I know there are loads of threads on here - I've just spent about 3 hours looking - but think I need an actual recommendation please!

I have a Sony DG820 and the Jamo A102 5.1 speaker set.

Room is approx 5 x 4.5m, and the longest run to the rears is likely to be about 12m (inc vertical). I am hoping to pull off the laminate flooring beading, and running the cable in the 10mm gap round under the skirting, meaning it'll have to do a couple of 90 degree turns in the corners. Don't think there will be anywhere really that it would have to withstand foot traffic as such.

It's likely also that I'll at least try and pull through the plasterboard of the dot and dab / partition walls to hide the vertical runs.

I was looking to get about 50m as that should be plenty so budget really is less than £2 a metre as already spent far too much!

I know the Van Damme is recommended but the thickness / flexibility put me off a bit - am I right to be concerned? Plus if any is on show the Mrs might moan! The other alternative mentioned a lot is the QED micro but worried thats the other end of the scale - i.e. a bit flimsy - should I aim at something in between?

Also with my likely runs / future use should I beef up to 2.5mm cable and just swallow the price difference now?

Many Thanks

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I'd suggest QED micro. Cost about £1.30-£1.50 per metre. Very common, most decent hifi retailers sell it. Reasonably flexible, not too thick etc and is well reviewed. I've used it before and in fact I'm going to re-wire my whole car audio shortly with it myself.

Dan.

3. chilluk

chilluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for that - it was what I was veering towards but just wasn't sure if it was up to the job.

Would there be any value in using micro for the rears and original (79 strand?) for the front and centres? Or am I just confusing matters?!

4. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Nah, I'd stick with QED micro throughout, though maybe original for the sub if it's powered by the all-in-one box as opposed to having an amp inside the sub.

Dan.