1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Cable - QED-like vs cheaper vs main

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by calvinhobbes, Sep 14, 2004.

1. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All

I am looking to hook up my Denon 3805 to my Celestion AVP 305 5.1 system. I've read through the threads here and it still isn't clear to me whether I should spend £2.50-4.50m on QED SA or Bronze (£100+ for all the wiring) or just go to Maplins and get some cheap speaker cable.

Some people have talked about using mains cable, but from what I understand, you have to do all sorts of stuff to get it to become a speaker cable, which seems a bit of a hassle.

Your help would be much appreciated!

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi calvin,

from the tests that I did with my system there's no way I'd ever buy speaker cable like that again. As far as DIY stuff goes there are two main options, plain old twin and earth mains flex and Cat5 network cable.

The first option (mains) needs no work at all, just strip the ends and you're ready to go, I found this to be indistinguishable from my £2.50 per metre stuff.

The second option is slightly more work but to be honest its only a matter of a few hours. It gives (IMHO) much better results at much less cost.

If you haven't already have a look at this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141489&highlight=cat5 there's lots of info in there including instructions on how made my cat5 cable.

HTH
    Owain

3. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just PM-ed you, but for public infor purposes, where did you find the mains cable that worked for you as good as QED?

Thanks

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    PM'd back before read this.

Basically its just plain old bog-standard twin and earth, solid core flex. Loads of places sell it, B&Q definitely do as thats where mine was left over from I think.

Owain

5. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Calvin
    have a look at Van Damme ofc Pro loudspeaker cable, www.vdctrading.co.uk not to expensive and gets cheaper the more you buy :)