Speaker Cable Positive And Negative

Dylan555

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just bought some speaker cable, but there’s no way to tell which one’s positive and negative. I’m going to use name labels, put them on one end of a cable, and then one on the other end of the same cable. And then (it’s a black cable) connect black to black on the receiver and speakers, and white (name label) to red. Can I just leave the name label on? Or do I need to remove it?

Also, are both cables identical? Is one positive and the other negative, or are they both the same?

For example if I had a black and red cable, and connected black to red on the speakers and receiver, and red to black on the receiver and speakers, would this be ok, because they’re connected to the same colour on the speakers, or would this not be ok, because both cables are actually different?

Sorry for such a long question, I’m still quite new to all of this. Thanks.

Until you keep same color connected in the ends, then it doesn't matter, what color coding has your cable - important is, that receivers "black" connector signal ends in speaker "black" plug and red in red.
Or if you have some mix like receiver has black and red coding and speaker has white and red, then black goes to white.
You can't mix - from receivers black to the speaker red...

Cable - do you have a link to what you have purchased and or some pics?

Cable - the colour of the outer jacket of the cable is simply for identification, a Red cable 'sounds' the same as a 'Black' cable.

Amp and Speakers - what do you have?

Joe

Speaker cable is the same for positive and negative. Make sure that you connect the same part of the cable to the same binding posts at speaker and amp end. As pointed out black to black and red to red.

Most cable manufacturers will have some way of marking the cable. It may be a simple manufacturer's name on just one of the sleeves. Check to see if this is so. That is a good way of ensuring that you have the correct connection. If indeed there is a manufacturer's name on just one sleeve then connect that red to red and the one without any markings black to black.

Easy way to get speaker polarity right if you're speaker cables don't have markings is connect the cable to the speaker then use a battery touch one end of the wire on the negative or the battery and the other to the positive if the speaker cone pushes out would you have got it the right way round if the driver goes in inward the wire that's touching the negative part of the battery is the wire that you want to connect to the positive speaker terminal of your amp hope I've explained it OK

Hi, sorry for such a late reply, I've just been really busy and still haven't gotten round to connecting the other speakers! This is the cable I'm wanting to buy: QED 79 Strand Speaker Cable - Custom Length Both cables look the same, so I can't connect black to black, or red to red, but does it matter which cable goes to the positive, and which cable goes to the negative? Providing it's positive to positive and negative to negative on the amp and speakers? Thanks.

Both sides of the cable are exactly the same. It's imperative that you ensure that you connect red to red and black to black. It does not matter which side of the cable is used as long as the polarity is the same. Once connected correctly is easy to mark each end with a coloured red marker on the positive connected side.

QED 79 strand has a rib down one side to identify that side of the pair.

Both sides of the cable are exactly the same. It's imperative that you ensure that you connect red to red and black to black. It does not matter which side of the cable is used as long as the polarity is the same. Once connected correctly is easy to mark each end with a coloured red marker on the positive connected side.
So what your saying is that it doesn’t matter what cable is used for positive and negative, as long as both cables are connected positive to positive and negative to negative? Thanks.

Good to know. Did you gather that just from looking at the picture, or does it mention that on the product’s description? Thanks.

If it is sold as speaker cable then if it doesn’t have any colour coding or writing there are normally ridges one or more. I have some that has 3 small ridges on it.
Just decide to put red connectors on the ridge side.

Own use and own some QED 79 strand.

So what your saying is that it doesn’t matter what cable is used for positive and negative, as long as both cables are connected positive to positive and negative to negative? Thanks.
You may also find the manufacturer's markings on the cable. They will just be printed on one side only.

I can confirm also as recently used some of this. It’s not immediately obvious I’d say though. However, providing you’re not twisting the cable if you lay it flat it’s pretty easy to run you finger down one side and just hook up the same colour banana plug at either end (doesn’t matter which), then you’re sorted :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom