Speaker cable position

les05

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to start installing my speaker cable and was wondering where is the best position for the speakers at the rear of the room. Is it better to have the speakers high up or at the same level as your ears.

Thanks

Les.

General rule of thumb is have the tweeters at eye level when you are sat down.

Hi Knightshade,

Would this still apply if you have a sofa with a high back? In my particular case, the cushions etc are slightly higher than ear level behind me. Should I still go for the "rule of thumb" or should I have them high and angle them down? Grateful for advice! (These are monopole rears, by the way)

As far as I know the rear speakers should provide a much more diffused (surround) sound and there for the placement is less vital.

I actually have mine on tall stands with the drivers facing away from the listening position. This results in the sound reflecting back and increasing the effect of surround sound...

Hi Baldrick - cheers, yes, you're right - but I prefer the directional rather than diffuse surrounds (have tried both). Probably loads of people reading this are pursing up their mouths in disgust. Anyway, it would seem that if the rears are pointing towards me at head height, most of the sound will end up hitting the back of the sofa which ain't good.

I suppose I'll just have to try a few things out. Chuck the Nazgul attack on Osgiliath in ROTK on a permanent loop!

you could get bi-pole speakers and then the rules are different again!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom