1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker cable permanent install

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nathsea, Dec 18, 2003.

1. nathsea

nathsea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,

Well I'm cracking on with my room, and time has come to thinking about which speaker cables I should use in the wall, I want something fairly cheap but good (if such a thing exists!) as once I've put the plasterboard up there is no going back....

So over to you guys and gals for suggestions..

Many Thanks in advance

Nathan

2. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use QED silver anniversary bi-wire for fronts and normal for surrounds, real nice cable. You can get it for about £8p/m BiW and £5p/m normal.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i reckon it's worth going to the XTube range by QED but more pricey, depends on the equipment.
    Check out QED face plates so you can have banana plugs in your wall. without the cable just hanging out.

4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I use to have the qed bi wire before my refurbishment. I then installed the X tube in the walls. It is worth the extra outlay, as you will end up changing and upgrading your equipment.

Make sure you use the shortest possible route, it cost me £450!! but it is definately worth it, i have future proofed it by prearing for 7.1.

Godd luck

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Bypass wall plate mounted sockets if you can. IMHO they're just not worth the money, and only cause to add an extra connection into the audio chain for more money. Stick with a blank plate with the cable coming through, at both end of the cable, and get a decent set of QED Airloc crimped spades or bananas instead.

6. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ran basic 79 strand in my walls whilst building. Wasn't going to spend too much on cable as I'm not as fussy as some. I've got some MK blank single socket covers that happen to have a small, round section that can be punched out in the middle. Saves having to drill them. I'll just run the cable out the the speakers.

I may have to use sockets at the amp end. For now it may even end up being done with barrier strip as I don't have all the parts yet.

Happy Xmas

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest the best you can possibly afford as once they're in, they're in. ~£500 may seem a lot on speaker cable, but if it's the last cable you ever use and may have to live up to hardware upgrades then it's got to be worth it.

8. steev

steev
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £500 is a lot for any sort of cable. I don't have a lot of experience with fancy cables. Previously I've just had the standard bell wire, so this will be an upgrade. My digital feed from the DVD->amp is using half a free phono cable and it sounds fine. But if people want to spend thousands on bits of wire that's fine by me.

My only future proofing was to run an extra cable for a centre rear speaker. If it all sounds reasonable then I'll be happy. I bought a reel of the cable for £30 or something like that. It's done the living room and the study with plenty left over. It's not much considering what we've spent on building the house, but we've spent about as much as we can afford.

Maybe by the time I can afford a better system it will all be wireless ;)