Speaker Cable - Pairing Perreaux Audiant 80i with B&W 685 S2

Hi everyone,

Till recently my HiFi was composed by: Marantz NA 6006 + Denon PMA 800NE + B&W 685 S2. Cables: RCA - Audioquest Sydney; Speaker - Mission Ultra High Purity Oxygen.

Two weeks ago I had the chance to buy Perreaux Audiant 80i as a good bargain. It makes all the difference and I'm very happy with my new amp.

Anyway I'm looking for small changes that I can make to improve my sound. My speares are wired with these solid core Mission Ultra High Purity Oxygen and I would like to read some feedback about other speaker cables you guys think that coud be a good fit, and if you think it should be wired or bi-wired (now are wired).

Regards,

Manuel

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The general consensus on here on speaker cable is that so long as it is OFC copper and of a decent cross section I.e. 2.5sq.mm or over, then it makes no difference to the sound. Assuming the previous statement, then bi-wiring makes no difference either other than doubling the profit for the seller. Keep your cables as they are and enjoy the music.

Last edited:
The general consensus on here on speaker cable is that so long as it is OFC copper and of a decent cross section I.e. 2.5sq.mm or over, then it makes no difference to the sound. Assuming the previous statement, then bi-wiring makes no difference either other than doubling the profit for the seller. Keep your cables as they are and enjoy the music.

Hi, many thanks for your reply. We read so many things about speaker cables and we never know if reviews are "sponsored" or not that i believe that the right thing is to ask here.

Regards

oscroft

I agree with Ugg10 (as I so often do). I've listened to a number of different speaker cables over the years. And as long as the cables are thick enough and made of copper, and with decent connections, I haven't heard any differences. Anything around 2.5 sq mm or AWG 14 should be just about perfect for most uses - if you need very long runs, I'd maybe go for 4 sq mm or AWG 12.

On biwiring, I've tried that again fairly recently. But as in the past, I can't hear any difference (though I haven't tried with top-end speakers).

You've got a nice system there, and I'd spend the extra on more music (or a bottle of what you like, if that's your thing :) )

larkone

Agree OFC copper of the correct size - avoid OFC copper in expensive dresses and dubious marketing. It doesn't improve the sound.

gibbsy

Plenty of good comments on wire than I agree with above. As for bi-wiring simply don't bother as all you are basically doing is move the crossover point from the speakers to the amp. Little or no audio improvement worth the effort.

I agree with Ugg10 (as I so often do). I've listened to a number of different speaker cables over the years. And as long as the cables are thick enough and made of copper, and with decent connections, I haven't heard any differences. Anything around 2.5 sq mm or AWG 14 should be just about perfect for most uses - if you need very long runs, I'd maybe go for 4 sq mm or AWG 12.

On biwiring, I've tried that again fairly recently. But as in the past, I can't hear any difference (though I haven't tried with top-end speakers).

You've got a nice system there, and I'd spend the extra on more music (or a bottle of what you like, if that's your thing :) )

Thks a lot for your reply! My next spend will be on a turntable... still choosing a model! Regarding the bottles... my wife already told me she didnt plan to live in a cellar :) :) :)

By the way, i found a pair of these cables: CS – 122 HYBRID (HALOGEN FREE).

Regarding my system, i would like to listen to your opinions.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom